Cadetships 2016 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venturaa

HSC
Anyone aware of any other Cadet/trainee program for Accounting and Finance in Perth other than PwC?

Anyone else applied for the PwC cadet program and going to the information evening for Perth? :)

desparate

HSC
Guys,

Was just offered a cadetship with a small accounting firm, do you think I should apply for UNSW Co-op or just take the cadetship??? Is the Co-op really that great????

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Guys,

Was just offered a cadetship with a small accounting firm, do you think I should apply for UNSW Co-op or just take the cadetship??? Is the Co-op really that great????
Would urge you have a read through this thread and the past cadetship thread as this is something that comes up every year. End of the day they both offer two different things. In a cadetship you are actually employed by the firm and compensated by the firm whilst in co-op it's a placement (internship) at the firm. With more than one placement you'll get the chance to work in different areas and get more exposure whilst a cadetship is generally in a specific business line and you stay there for the duration of your contract.

In terms of finances you're more likely to earn more as a cadet than as you would with the co-op scholarship. That being said there are trade-offs as cadetships extend your degree and require more hours of work.

No reason you can't apply for both and make your decision later when/if that time comes.

Also, if you really are interested in the idea of co-op programs and you specifically want to work in accounting then UTS's BAcc is I think more or less agreed to be a better co-op course for accounting. However, if you're not as keen on accounting and want placements in other industries then UNSW has a larger variety of Commerce co-op options.

esaitchkay

HSC
Would urge you have a read through this thread and the past cadetship thread as this is something that comes up every year. End of the day they both offer two different things. In a cadetship you are actually employed by the firm and compensated by the firm whilst in co-op it's a placement (internship) at the firm. With more than one placement you'll get the chance to work in different areas and get more exposure whilst a cadetship is generally in a specific business line and you stay there for the duration of your contract.

In terms of finances you're more likely to earn more as a cadet than as you would with the co-op scholarship. That being said there are trade-offs as cadetships extend your degree and require more hours of work.

No reason you can't apply for both and make your decision later when/if that time comes.

Also, if you really are interested in the idea of co-op programs and you specifically want to work in accounting then UTS's BAcc is I think more or less agreed to be a better co-op course for accounting. However, if you're not as keen on accounting and want placements in other industries then UNSW has a larger variety of Commerce co-op options.
Agree with Phaze, on the above.

Usually cadetships extend your degree by a year, and your social life will be limited for the time you do study + work.
Co-op tries to accommodate for work-study-life balance by doing PT studies + FT work.

I would say there's no harm in applying for UTS/UNSW Co-op + cadetships / any other opportunities.

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Agree with Phaze, on the above.

Usually cadetships extend your degree by a year, and your social life will be limited for the time you do study + work.
Co-op tries to accommodate for work-study-life balance by doing PT studies + FT work.

I would say there's no harm in applying for UTS/UNSW Co-op + cadetships / any other opportunities.
I dont understand this point, that's the same as a cadetship (you can of course fastrack further with more subjects depending on you and the firm).

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I dont understand this point, that's the same as a cadetship (you can of course fastrack further with more subjects depending on you and the firm).
Posting on threads at 2:14AM on a Wednesday night.

> Dedication

esaitchkay

HSC
I should have clarified - I was referring to the 2 x 6 month internships (1 year) as opposed to the 2 years of work typically attributed to a cadetship (at least for the big 4).

Furthermore, I see most cadets doing 3 subjects + 4.5 days, whereas in the case of BAcc, you'd typically do 2 in the first internship, and 1 in the 2nd internship.

However, as you mentioned, some firms do seem to be more flexible than others.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I should have clarified - I was referring to the 2 x 6 month internships (1 year) as opposed to the 2 years of work typically attributed to a cadetship (at least for the big 4).

Furthermore, I see most cadets doing 3 subjects + 4.5 days, whereas in the case of BAcc, you'd typically do 2 in the first internship, and 1 in the 2nd internship.

However, as you mentioned, some firms do seem to be more flexible than others.
Most if not all the cadets I know are doing two subjects when they're working and four when they're at uni full time. This usually ends up making the standard three year degree into four years.

Although, desperate, you should note that some co-op courses (such as BAcc) require you to start earlier in the year to fit in the internships and what not. End of the day it doesn't really matter if all you're doing is extending your degree by one so I wouldn't let degree length be a major factor in your decision making.

esaitchkay

HSC
That's interesting - I assumed from my friends that 3 was the usual thing.

Agree that the fast-track summer sessions for BAcc are probably one of the biggest downsides to the program, but I guess it's how they make it 3 years.

To be honest, I don't think an extra year of uni would be the worst thing in the world, either.

-Senpai

HSC
What are your thoughts on preparing for those online tests that firms issue like logical reasoning, personality tests, etc. ?

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Important. If you're serious about the position, do a few practice tests beforehand.

desparate

HSC
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think at this point I will go with a cadetship (even though its a small firm, but any experience is good right?). My next question is, do you think UNSW or Used or UTS is better for commerce? Can i even fit a timetable in with USyd since they have a rather abysmal selection of evening classes?

BTW have any of you guys done commerce international or liberal studies and do you think it is worth the extra year?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think at this point I will go with a cadetship (even though its a small firm, but any experience is good right?). My next question is, do you think UNSW or Used or UTS is better for commerce? Can i even fit a timetable in with USyd since they have a rather abysmal selection of evening classes?

BTW have any of you guys done commerce international or liberal studies and do you think it is worth the extra year?
You'll never get a straightforward unbiased answer when you ask which uni is better. There are a lot of factors that come into play whenever this debate comes up but personally I don't think you can really go wrong when picking between UNSW, USyd, UTS or MQ. All four are generally viewed as good unis to study commerce/business at and all of them have a decent reputation. Obviously they're all ranked differently but personally I think it makes very little difference.

USyd used to be really shit at their timetabling but they've always provided additional support to cadets. They have a selection of evening classes specifically available for cadets and they also have someone in the Business faculty who you can contact if you need to get into a class which the timetabling system isn't letting you get into. A lot of it will come down to how flexible your work is with you needing to leave 30 minutes early to get to uni or coming in two half days instead of taking a whole day off for uni and so on.

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know when new EY cadets start work? Tax in particular. Thanks

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Most firms only confirm a lot closer to the day or they provide a range... even if they had the anticipated dates set, it can still change anyway.

ch2831

HSC
Has anyone else gotten the interview with UBS? Ans if so what day/time? Mine is 4-6 on the tuesday and I'm starting to get scared now... Are they going to make me talk for the whole 2 hours? and anyone know if its a group interview?

etxpy

HSC
N/A
Two 30 minute interviews, group interview if you make it through to the next round.

ch2831

HSC
I find it a bit weird some of my friends have the same time/date as me (for both first and second rounds) and some have it on another day...
Have we been separated into the different departments already?

ch2831

HSC
Also anyone have any tips on what kind of questions they've asked in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)