Cadetships 2017 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
A new 2017 thread to cover cadetships/traineeships/etc. for accounting/finance/etc roles. It's not clear which firms will be offering positions and in which areas just yet (at time of me posting this) but I'm sure it'll become known over time.

Previous threads:

http://community.boredofstudies.org/462/commerce-business/348326/cadetships-2016-a.html]2016[

New thread for Cadetships 2017?

May be a bit early, but there are applications open for some firms already
Wish granted :)

Last edited:

si2136

HSC
N/A
First! Good luck to all to those that are applying, Serimify posted the links to previous threads which could be helpful to you!

Mathew587

HSC
What's a cadetship. Is it only for uni students ?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
What's a cadetship. Is it only for uni students ?
A cadetship is essentially full time employment for a university student, on the condition they study a degree relavent to their employment. The student benefits through gaining skills and experience in the workplace, and employers are able to train students in the field to suit the roles they need.

It's a great opportunity, because it puts you several years ahead career wise, of students who do not start relevant full time employment before finishing their degree, helps you really develop and grow into a work environment, can give you the practical element your studies lack, and most (obviously) importantly for all the high school kids who apply for these roles, you get paid a very good salary for somebody with no experience!

Generally cadetships are with accounting firms, but there are a few out there for finance, project management, engineering etc.

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
On a serious note, I'm in the 6th and last year of my degree now, and applying for graduate jobs. I feel old :lol:

I've been a insolvency cadet, a tax accountant, and more recently, an IT project management intern.

The cadetship I (semi accidentally) came across 7 years ago was the catalyst for everything I've experienced so far. Though I learnt insolvency and eventually, accounting weren't for me, the experience of being in a workplace and practical application of my studies has been a great benefit for me.

I'd highly recommend for any of the high school students out there thinking about applying, to do so. Even if you realise in several years from now it wasn't for you, you'll still have so much to gain from this opportunity. So many of my friends have wished they had the chance to work in a professional job and not in just retail or hospitality before graduation. I've also met a lot of people in my current workplace that have a lot of respect for me for studying part time while working. It's not an easy decision, but your trying to set yourself up for adult life, not just 3 months after your HSC.

You'll only get the most from life if you take the opportunities given to you, so seize them!

Mathew587

HSC
Is there any way of signing up for cadetships now? Im in year 12 :D

si2136

HSC
N/A
Not all cadetship applications are open yet, but you can search around on job seeking sites (Ex. Seek). The one most people would be applying to is UBS and the Big 4 (But I don't think any of them are offering besides KPMG this year, don't quote me but)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Historically they were targeted at people in year 12. I used to always look at the Institute of Chartered Accountants website for their events/etc, as well as on the careers websites for the Big4 firms to stay on top of it. Used to be mid-year (circa june/july) but doesn't hurt to try and keep an eye out for it.

andrew12678

HSC
Historically they were targeted at people in year 12. I used to always look at the Institute of Chartered Accountants website for their events/etc, as well as on the careers websites for the Big4 firms to stay on top of it. Used to be mid-year (circa june/july) but doesn't hurt to try and keep an eye out for it.
The above is very true, from what I saw this year the people who got in actively kept up to date with information on the websites (no you will be reminding you possibly not even your career advisors so don't get left behind) and iirc they got phone call offers/interviews etc between post Trials to HSC but obviously applied much earlier

esaitchkay

HSC
As an addition to applying to cadetships, I would recommend students to also check out the co-op programs available at UTS and UNSW (and possibly other unis?)

An advantage of co-op programs (for acct/mgmt at least) is the exposure to a variety of industries.

Would definitely recommend subscribing to industry newsletters (CAANZ/CPA) for openings.

Mathew587

HSC
Does anyone have any idea how many cadets UBS accepts every year?

Prouille24

HSC
As an addition to applying to cadetships, I would recommend students to also check out the co-op programs available at UTS and UNSW (and possibly other unis?)

An advantage of co-op programs (for acct/mgmt at least) is the exposure to a variety of industries.

Would definitely recommend subscribing to industry newsletters (CAANZ/CPA) for openings.
Hi everyone, on what has been mentioned by esaitchkay, please click the below link about the UTS Bachelor of Accounting Scholarship program for further information. It is an amazing course and I highly recommend that you should all apply.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...counting-co-operative-scholarship-2018-a.html

Mathew587

HSC
Hi everyone, on what has been mentioned by esaitchkay, please click the below link about the UTS Bachelor of Accounting Scholarship program for further information. It is an amazing course and I highly recommend that you should all apply.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...counting-co-operative-scholarship-2018-a.html
I've heard accounting especially is dying. It has a high chance of being automated in comparison to other degrees as well.
Are you guys sure running this degree is still a good idea?

si2136

HSC
N/A
I've heard accounting especially is dying. It has a high chance of being automated in comparison to other degrees as well.
Are you guys sure running this degree is still a good idea?
No one says that accounting is dying. We still need auditors and consultants.

We have a high demand for overseas senior accountants.

Mathew587

HSC

ilikecats

HSC
Uni Grad
Nah I didn't mean it like that si. Its cos of automation and how you could automate a lot of what accountants do due to its repitive nature.
Read this-
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/what-should-you-study-to-stop-robots-stealing-your-job
Much of the automated work in accounting would be bookkeeping and entry level tasks (ie. data entry).

The distinction between Bookkeeping and Accounting is not something the general public or the media tends to realise. Planning, analysis, consulting and auditing for instance, are much harder to automate. Even if it were, I would expect that governing bodies would simply not allow for complete automation of these areas to protect themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)