Caesar (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
hey! Two questions;
1) my related texts have nothing to do with caesar. That's acceptable, right?
2) I have an essay question along the lines of 'how is dramatic style used to represent conflicting perspectives in julius caesar'.
Anyone got any advice on 'dramatic style'?

williamcarr1991

HSC
1) I hope so, because neither do mine.
2) dramatic style - talk about antony's speech (rhetoric etc.) the way he uses props to construct his perspective... and cassius dramatises Caesar drowning in the Tiber... things like that i'd say

peachlives

HSC
absorber:

1) your texts have to show conflict (either external or internal) and don't have to have absolutely anything to do with Caesar, chill you're sweet.
2) Dramatic style - heaps of examples!

1. The first scene: the misunderstanding between the Cobbler and the senator Flavius foreshadows the coming conflict, and sets the scene for the entire play - a play of conflict. Then they start fighting...

perspective one: But indeed, sir, we make holiday to see Caesar and to rejoice in his triumph
perspective two: You blocks, you stones!... Knew you not Pompey?... And do you now strew flowers in his way, that comes in triumph over Pompey's blood? Be gone!

THUS conflict is set up in the first scene - FORESHADOWING (dramatic technique - very common in S/speare)

peachlives

HSC
2. Brutus and Cassius in Act 1, Scene 2.

Brutus: Into what dangers would you lead me, Cassius? (DRAMATIC IRONY - the audience knows later that he does lead him into danger)

3. Funeral Orations in Act 3, Scene 2.

Brutus: "Romans, countrymen and lovers, hear me for my cause"

compare to...

Antony: "Friends, Romans and countrymen, lend me your hears!"

Compare the difference: prose vs verse, word placement or syntax (Romans vs friends), choice of verb (hear vs lend) - which sounds nicer in the end? Antony, and he sways the people

peachlives

HSC
Hope that helps - 3 points = 3 paragraphs, should be enough for an essay.
Then try and link in your 2 related texts, and you'll be sweet for tomorrow

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)