calcium carbonate q (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
I didn't know what to do with the excess HCl, so I simply pretended that that part of the question wasn't there, and calculated it to be like 0.8g. Oh well, they have to give me marks for knowing the correct setup (as though the excess HCl part of the question wasn't there).....right???!!!

treelovinhippie

<this space for rent>
HSC
oh truck!

CaCO3 + 2HCl -> H2O + CO2 + CaCl2

Damnit... I did that but couldn't balance it (I must've forgotten the Cl2 part)... so then I changed it to something else.

damn

Captain Karl

HSC
treelovinhippie said:
oh truck!

CaCO3 + 2HCl -> H2O + CO2 + CaCl2

Damnit... I did that but couldn't balance it (I must've forgotten the Cl2 part)... so then I changed it to something else.

damn
Isnt the equation

CaCO3 + 2HCl -> CaCl2 + H2CO3?

alia

im not too sure about that because When CaCo3 reacts with acid, H2 gas evolves.

But they might accept it cos it's balanced and H20 + CO2 --> H2CO3

Captain Karl

HSC
I'm not sure which one's right but i think that i might've gotten it wrong. Thank god the molar ratios ended up the same so i could at least get part of the question right

kouklitsa

acid + carbonate ---> salt + water + carbon dioxide... year 8 chemistry

but did they actually ask for the equation? i cant remember.. if they didnt they cant take a mark away from you. and if you got your moles ratios right then there shouldnt be a problem

Captain Karl

HSC
kouklitsa said:
acid + carbonate ---> salt + water + carbon dioxide... year 8 chemistry
It all came flooding back to me after I left the exam. At most it'll be 1 mark that gets taken away but.

kouklitsa

Captain Karl said:
It all came flooding back to me after I left the exam. At most it'll be 1 mark that gets taken away but.
now that im thinking about it im trying to remember whether i put in the subscripts.. coz apparently they were gonna start taking marks off for that too!! im pretttty sure i put it but cant remember now! argh

Captain Karl

HSC
By subscripts do you mean solid (s), gas (g) or aqueous (aq)? I think they do take marks off for that coz for the last two years my teacher would always tell people what state they're in. We used to get marks taken off for it in internal exams at least

kouklitsa

Captain Karl said:
By subscripts do you mean solid (s), gas (g) or aqueous (aq)? I think they do take marks off for that coz for the last two years my teacher would always tell people what state they're in. We used to get marks taken off for it in internal exams at least

yep... thats what i meant, and our teacherwould do that in internal exams.. but up until last year when she was marking hsc they werent taking marks off.. she said they might this year though. and they dont give half marks so that'd be bad if i didnt put them :|

Captain Karl

HSC
Usually it shouldnt matter unless its a question regarding states of matter (like the ammonia question, but we were already given that equation so it didnt matter in that question). If it was about observing the CO2 bubbles or something we'd need it. I'm not sure how lenient they'll be in that sense so even if you didnt put states in it might not matter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)