Calculating WAM (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
How would I go about's doing this?

Thanks

edit: If this is just adding the marks and dividing by the number of subjects, pls kill me......

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
I remember doing it in software basically it's

year X CP X mark + ...
---------------------------- = wam
year X CP + ...

i.e.

so for example taking two subjects:

MATH 1000
MATH 1001

both worth 6CP and one mark was 70 and the other was 80

and you're in first year

1 x 6 x 70 + 1 x 6 x 80
-----------------------------
1 x 6 + 1 x 6

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Oh we do the year as well? I didn't know that. Usually I just go:

(Mark X Credit points) + (Mark x Credit points) + ...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Total Credit points

Or something along those lines :). I basically do them for my subjects all together, then work it out for the subjects that actually count towards my degree.

Winston

HSC
jasee said:
Oh we do the year as well? I didn't know that. Usually I just go:

(Mark X Credit points) + (Mark x Credit points) + ...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Total Credit points

Or something along those lines :). I basically do them for my subjects all together, then work it out for the subjects that actually count towards my degree.
lol well my formula you multiply it by the year as well, i guess it might make some sense, since wouldn't your year contribute to how hard your assessments and exams are in general, so that i has to be taken into account.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Hmm yeh thats true, but what if I do them out of order? lol. I'm definately doing that with my degree.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Please note that on top of this some faculties of some uni's may have their own WAM.

There is a CSE WAM which only takes into consideration COMP and SENG courses ...

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I don't think I even use thatg formula! I'll get back to you, I have to go look at excel to see what I did, but its really something simple.

MuSaRuRWa

yes, u do take the year into account as well, because thehigher the year, the more weightage the subject would carry.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
What ?!
I've never heard of the year having any effect on your WAM, maybe thats a CSE thing.

Anyway, the WAM that UNSW'ers get is worked out (assuming subjects are 6CP each):
Final Mark + Final Mark + ... / Number of subjects
(For geneds that are 3CP, I just halve the mark and halve the subject (ie take it as 0.5 subjects)

I'll leave the mathematicians to work out how to do it with differring credit point weights

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
That's not a weighted average mark, that's just your GPA. What you've done hasn't taken any account of the weighting of later subjects over earlier subjects (unless I'm horribly, horribly wrong of course).

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Lexicographer said:
That's not a weighted average mark, that's just your GPA. What you've done hasn't taken any account of the weighting of later subjects over earlier subjects (unless I'm horribly, horribly wrong of course).
GPA? Its an average of marks...at UNSW, we are GIVEN the WAM with our semester results (both as a semester WAM and a total WAM)

I've still never heard of this weighting by year thing
what if you're a 3rd year doing a 1st year subject?

here's an example from last year:
I got 88, 87, 85 and 62 as my marks for my 4 subjects
88+87+85+62/4 (since all my subj were 6CP)
that gives 80.5, which is what UNSW reported my semester 1, 2003 WAM to be

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
whats the point of this WAM? why is everyone worried about and hows it different to other marks?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
ezzy85 said:
whats the point of this WAM? why is everyone worried about and hows it different to other marks?
I require a WAM of 53 in order to get a pass conceded for my maths which I got 49/100 for.

I am worried that I may not get it..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Minai said:
GPA? Its an average of marks...at UNSW, we are GIVEN the WAM with our semester results (both as a semester WAM and a total WAM)

I've still never heard of this weighting by year thing
what if you're a 3rd year doing a 1st year subject?

here's an example from last year:
I got 88, 87, 85 and 62 as my marks for my 4 subjects
88+87+85+62/4 (since all my subj were 6CP)
that gives 80.5, which is what UNSW reported my semester 1, 2003 WAM to be
Yes, but those were all first year subjects (ie weighting was 1). As I understand it the WAM takes into account whether a subject usually takes place in the first, second, or third year of study (semesters 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 of a single degree) and weighs them accordingly.

Thus your total WAM would be [(year × credit points × marks) + ... ] ÷ [(year × credit points studied) + ... ]

For me, this would be

[(1×6×??) + (1×6×??) + (1×6×??) + (1×6×??)] ÷ [(1×6) + (1×6) + (1×6) + (1×6)]

Where ?? is my mark in the four subjects (since I haven't got them back yet). All my subjects are worth 6 credit points, and they're all first year subjects.

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Yes, the year thing looks at when most people take the course (ie: what the first number in the course code is normally). I am not sure what happens to courses like "Fininte Maths" for SENG students, as it has a 2nd year course code (MATH 2400) but is taken first year normally.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
UNSW WAM:

https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/atoz/Wam.html said:
The Weighted Average Mark (WAM) is calculated by multiplying the mark obtained for each relevant result by the units of credit of the particular course, adding up the products and dividing by the total number of units of credit for the relevant courses. A 'Term WAM' is calculated for relevant results in a semester, and a separate cumulative WAM is calculated for relevant results over the student's entire program.
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/AssessmentPolicySec3_2.html said:
The WAM is calculated first, by weighting each result by the units of credit associated with the course, and second, by dividing the weighted sum by the total number of units of credit.
I found another segment of a uni document that said that the WAM = GPA.

CSE WAM:

http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~studentoffice/policies/wa/calculations.html said:
The Weighted Average Mark (WAM) = the Weighted Sum (WS) / Sum of Weights (SW) where:

Each course has its own fixed Course Weight and Stage Weight.

WS =
the sum [over all included courses] of (
the product of (
the Mark for the course's first attempt
the Course Weight of the course
the Stage Weight of the course
)
)

SW =
the sum [over all included courses] of (
the product of (
the Course Weight of the course
the Stage Weight of the course
)
)

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Just as I thought. WAM doesn't take into account year or whatever at UNSW However it appears so for CSE? Hmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)