Calculus & Analysis Marathon & Questions (2 Viewers)

integral95

HSC
Re: First Year Uni Calculus Marathon

Yeah basically, but part a) could've been smacked straight away with the first FTC and the chain rule

Hiccup on the final answer for d) though
wait what?
I don't know if it's legit lol

leehuan

HSC

I'm taking a massively blank stab at this one for my procrastination from accounting, so the quality of this answer will be again, poor lol.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

Wouldn't you have to also check/assume the individual requirements of L'Hs are satisfied, namely the limits have to all exist?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Change variables.

P(ex)/Q(x)

Without Loss of Generality, we can assume P is of degree 1.

This expression obviously tends to infinity.

For those who do not see it, apply L'Hôpital's Rule (with respect to x) n times where n is the degree of Q.

If P is larger, then the contribution to the explosion is greater, and the expression still diverges.

[QED]

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

Change variables.

P(ex)/Q(x)

Without Loss of Generality, we can assume P is of degree 1.

This expression obviously tends to infinity.

For those who do not see it, apply L'Hôpital's Rule (with respect to x) n times where n is the degree of Q.

If P is larger, then the contribution to the explosion is greater, and the expression still diverges.

[QED]
How are you able to do these uni questions when you're not even at uni?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

How are you able to do these uni questions when you're not even at uni?
These things are fairly simple to understand, you don't have to be taking a high level mathematics course to be able to do them. I'm sure I could find people in year 10 who can do these questions.

leehuan

HSC

Wouldn't you have to also check/assume the individual requirements of L'Hs are satisfied, namely the limits have to all exist?
That's a statement I forgot to (explicitly) make.

But I obviously assumed so because the final limit is supposed to exist and tend to infinity

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

These things are fairly simple to understand, you don't have to be taking a high level mathematics course to be able to do them. I'm sure I could find people in year 10 who can do these questions.
That's abit of an exaggeration isn't it? Would you find people in Year 10 (unless if they accelerate) that understand L'Hôpital's Rule?

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

That's abit of an exaggeration isn't it? Would you find people in Year 10 (unless if they accelerate) that understand L'Hôpital's Rule?
Yes. I would, and I can, and I will. I am quasi-mentoring (mainly because he is very self capable) a year 10 student who has self-taught all the basics of Extension 2 Integration, and I will be teaching him competitive integration. Then I will drag him to the MATHSOC Integration Bee next year.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

That's a statement I forgot to (explicitly) make.

But I obviously assumed so because the final limit is supposed to exist and tend to infinity
Limits that tend to infinity, do they actually exist in the reals?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Going to infinity counts as "exist" for the purposes of using L'Hôpital's rule. You can't have something that oscillates forever though (like (2+cos(x))/(2-cos(x)) or something), that'd fail to satisfy the requirement for L'Hôpital's rule.

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Going to infinity counts as "exist" for the purposes of using L'Hôpital's rule. You can't have something that oscillates forever though (like (2+cos(x))/(2-cos(x)) or something), that'd fail to satisfy the requirement for L'Hôpital's rule.
Identically equal to making a manipulation/substitution so that you get 0/0 instead of ∞/∞

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC

Prove that f is differentiable at the origin.

There is a real positive number θ which satisfies tan-1θ = sinθ.

Prove that f is continuous at θ.

Hence prove f is continuous at -θ.

leehuan

HSC

Yes. I would, and I can, and I will. I am quasi-mentoring (mainly because he is very self capable) a year 10 student who has self-taught all the basics of Extension 2 Integration, and I will be teaching him competitive integration. Then I will drag him to the MATHSOC Integration Bee next year.
...just saw (realised) this

seanieg89

HSC

Yep. MVT implies (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=f'(c(x)) for some c(x) strictly between a and x. As x->a, c(x)->a, which implies that the RHS converges to a limit by the question's assumptions. So the LHS converges to a limit as x->a, which is precisely the definition of differentiability.

A related followup:
Let f:R->R be a differentiable function. Must f' be continuous?

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC

Yep. MVT implies (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=f'(c(x)) for some c(x) strictly between a and x. As x->a, c(x)->a, which implies that the RHS converges to a limit by the question's assumptions. So the LHS converges to a limit as x->a, which is precisely the definition of differentiability.

A related followup:
Let f:R->R be a differentiable function. Must f' be continuous?
Going by memory isn't the function f(x)=x. sin(1/x) for x \neq 0 ; 0 for x=0 a case where f is differentiable everywhere but f' is not continuous at 0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)