Calculus in hsc and trials (1 Viewer)

aanthnnyyy

HSC
'Find any stat points and determine nature'

Do we need to locate inflexion or not? Sometimes in papers as I've found they do and other times they don't. (Assuming finding inflexion is not in the next part of question)

integral95

HSC
'Find any stat points and determine nature'

Do we need to locate inflexion or not? Sometimes in papers as I've found they do and other times they don't. (Assuming finding inflexion is not in the next part of question)
I don't think you need to locate the point of inflexion if the question doesn't ask for it.

The 2nd derivative is used to determine the nature of the stationary point. (which is probably why the solutions would include that)

(if the stat pt is positive in 2nd derivative it's a min pt while a negative value would give a max point)

aanthnnyyy

HSC
I don't think you need to locate the point of inflexion if the question doesn't ask for it.

The 2nd derivative is used to determine the nature of the stationary point. (which is probably why the solutions would include that)

(if the stat pt is positive in 2nd derivative it's a min pt while a negative value would give a max point)
thanks I'm pretty sure HSC will ask for inflexion separately, just some school trials I'm doing mmm

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Note that some stationary points are also inflexion points, so you would need to say this if this happens to be the point's nature. (e.g. the point (0,0) on the graph of ). These are called stationary points of inflexion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)