Calling all dancers! Are you keeping it up at uni? (1 Viewer)

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
I've been doing ballet for 13 years and there's no way I could give it up now, but I have to move to Canberra for uni which means changing studios...anyone else going to keep dancing through uni?

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
umm not ballet but i do croatian dancing.. still has the bitchy parents and occasional performances where you have to get all dressed up.. practice is only once a week for an hour and a half or so though
ill continue it thoughout uni.. im changing dance groups though cuz im sick of my current one and i really want to learn something new (cuz i love cro dancing)

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Yeah, I'll keep doing ballet, I do it close to where I live and where I'll be going to Uni. And I like being flexible :D

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Well, apart from the fact that ALL of my friends are not going 2 uni and are going to study ballet at a finishing school, interstate or overseas (lucky bums), I'm going to try and do it while I'm at uni. I've been doing ballet for 16 years (yes folks, I started when i was like 2) and have studied to solo seal level and performed the lilac fairy in sleeping beauty last year, so it seems a shame to stop now eh? I just found out that the school ballet company will b employing ex students to do their main roles from now on....so.... I'm excited.....just dont know how i'll fit it all in!

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
llamalope said:
I just found out that the school ballet company will b employing ex students to do their main roles from now on....so.... I'm excited.....just dont know how i'll fit it all in!
Wow, that sounds great! I'm hoping to get a job at Bloch (I'm working at the local ballet shop now so I'll have some experience) so that I can pay my way through another year of ballet. Not looking forward to having to foot all the ballet bills myself, all the gear and classes really add up and if I want to keep improving my technique I can't just do 1 class a week. :(

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
i had to quit last year (i finished in 2003) after 14 years of dance (jazz, ballet mainly) and a couple of teaching, because i got a full time job that was shift work which meant i had to work different times each week... now i'm moving to armidale and really want to get back into it again... but i'm really not sure how much opportunity there will be up there for it... i miss it soooo much... i still get out my pairs of pointes and admire them all the time! haha

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
llamalope said:
gemita.....how do you find time for more than one class a week at uni though!!!!!
Ignorance. :)

I have absolutely no idea about uni workload, so I'm being optimistic in the extreme. Although, I was doing 8 classes a week during year 11, so surely I could fit in a couple during uni?

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I'm no ballerina.. but I like my Square Dancing and clogging (form of tap only noisier) and i have found that i make time for it... it's great to get away from the hectic uni stuff at least twice a week... although during exams i found that i only make it once a week... if you enjoy it, try to keep it up.. it makes for a great getaway sometimes!

HSC
N/A
Hmm... I was even doing solo competition during the HSC, so I should be able to keep it up :) I'm not sure whether I could do the 15 hours a week I'm used to though... (with exception of HSC year, now I'm frantically trying to get back into shape for the new dance year)

So many of my friends who quit dance during Yr 12 regretted it majorly... you need the release!

Question: How many of us are teaching dance on the side (or wanting to) to get the extra $$$?

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
well during the hsc, all of yr 12 and all of yr 11, i was doing 20+ hours of ballet a week, tuesday-saturday, rehearsing Sleeping beauty and or other performances, and preparing for ballet exams (advanced2 in year 11, solo seal in yr 12, Gold star modern in year 12) ...plus in yr 11, I did HSC dance (try doing both the yr 11 and 12 course in one year ppl!!!!)...so going from that to like 2-4 hours a week is going 2 b a shock 2 the system

Edit: oh yeah...plus the mcDonald performing arts challenge :rolleyes:

Last edited:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
gemita said:
I was sometimes during year 12, but I doubt any studio in Canberra is going to hire a rookie teacher without any teaching qualifications. I was only teaching in my own studio.
I'm sure that some schools would love to have an assistant teacher...at least you have experience, that's the important thing. Not all ballet teachers went through the whole RAD teaching thingo because its so bloody expensive. I know...I've been there....

HSC
N/A
Don't you just love city of sydney?

"Oh damn! I have an assessment on Monday! #$^$%^! I have city of sydney on Sunday!!!!"

llamalope - why are you going to Uni if you could do a full-time course? You sound like you're capable of making it into the big league... :)

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
HSC
pfft...I auditioned for VCA....I'm too balletic for them.....and the other schools (nz and qld proffessional YR) i audtioned for only want annorexic little ppl...they dont care how well you DANCE.....basically i could make it if i went overseas...but....WHO HAS THE MONEY!!!!!! My problemo is that my turnout kinda sucks.....I can kick everybody's ass on stage and in pointe class an shit... but my turnout for barre work and centre is kinda lacking...although I can cheat... :p..... so here I am...the only ballet person in my school who is going to uni..... hahahahahaha but as i said b4...I think I'm just gonna keep doing it as a guest artist for the school's company...because they've lost all their good ppl from school

Last edited:

Sasky

HSC
I wouldnt never give up jazz or ballet - or any sport I did, no matter what I did - even if it was only one class a week.
Of course I will be limiting it to schedule studying, etc. but if I do uni in da city, I'd have an even bigger incentive to go dancing more often - at SDC!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)