Calling all economics students (1 Viewer)

ayeelmao

HSC
Hello

Just about to head into uni and while I have done extensive research into the economics course, I want to hear some personal opinions on what it's like. Any thoughts you have on the course would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Do you need to be good at math to succeed in economics?

HSC
1st year econ subjects don't have much maths, refer to this link for what to choose http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3543.html

defintely choose these two courses
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)

maybe this one
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC), not everyone finds easy but with enough work will be fine

and one other not sure,
ECON1202 Quantitative Analysis (6 UOC) (a maths course but not too bad) since it is a pre-req for further eco subjects later on good to get it done early.

these would be a good combo, econ1203 econ1202 being the relatively harder ones and the first two a breeze

HSC
N/A
1st year econ subjects don't have much maths, refer to this link for what to choose http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2016/3543.html

defintely choose these two courses
ACCT1501 Accounting & Financial Mgt 1A (6 UOC)
ECON1101 Microeconomics 1 (6 UOC)

maybe this one
ECON1203 Business & Economic Statistics (6 UOC), not everyone finds easy but with enough work will be fine

and one other not sure,
ECON1202 Quantitative Analysis (6 UOC) (a maths course but not too bad) since it is a pre-req for further eco subjects later on good to get it done early.

these would be a good combo, econ1203 econ1202 being the relatively harder ones and the first two a breeze
IM doing econ1101 and i never done economics in my entire life.
I need to get 75 wam
is it hard?

a19901213

HSC
Hello

Just about to head into uni and while I have done extensive research into the economics course, I want to hear some personal opinions on what it's like. Any thoughts you have on the course would be greatly appreciated.

First year is alright, the only course I found annoying was ECON1203, they marked so harsh on everything and at the end they have to scale everyone up otherwise half of people were failing the course.

From second year you'll start to touch more on econometric and math stuff like ECON2206, ECON2209 and so on(depends on your major), in major I did(Financial Economics) Econ2209 was really a hurdle for lots of people, it's not the math that's bothering you, it's the concept and logic that are killing your brain cells. Let alone you need to work on an assignment that requires you to use eviews.

As for third years courses...I don't even know how I managed to pass them, but overall I found economics more interesting than finance.

sida1049

HSC
If you're doing only doing an undergraduate economics degree, you could probably get away with minimal maths (some calculus and statistics, i.e. you could probably manage well by entering first year with just 2U maths knowledge) by choosing the less maths intensive electives.

If you plan on doing a postgraduate degree in economics, in the words of the economist Greg Mankiw, take maths "until it hurts".

Here are some of the advice Mankiw has on the subject of maths for economics students:

'Why Aspiring Economists Need Math'

'Love Econ, Bad at Math'

Which math courses?

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
When I did ECON1101, 60-70% of the cohort received mark of 75 or higher. It's probably the easiest economics course offered and involves minimal maths (mostly common sense theory, and A LITTLE calculus). ECON1203 provides you with the core foundation for statistics, introducing concepts like the normal distribution curve, standardisation, hypothesis testing and regression. Definitely one of the harder level 1 courses IMO. From there on the harder economics courses tend to revolve around more econometric based theory (I'm doing QUANT 1 in the upcoming sem so I have no opinion on that).

As for maintaining a 75 WAM, it isn't easy, depends on the person though. Trying to consistently get a 75 average every semester requires consistent effort and work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)