• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

calling all optics fans :) (1 Viewer)

thejesster

HSC
greetings to all my superiors. I have called upon you to assist me in this one question:

On planet X, the atmosphere is made up of gases that scatter low frequencies. How would you describe the sunsets on Planet X? Think of an experiment you could design to find the answer.

yes.... hmmm...
it is giving me quite the headache.
ha.
well, anyhooos.. please help

k02033

HSC
well earth scatters high frequency light ie blue light. so planet x is opposite to earth. ie blue sunset, red skies. um experiment? take a look?

thejesster

HSC
hmm.. yes that does help :)..
what a stupid question it is, though... i have to 'think up' an experiment... like with the whole hypothesis and what not. pretend of course, as i cannot go to planet x..

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
well earth scatters high frequency light ie blue light. so planet x is opposite to earth. ie blue sunset, red skies. um experiment? take a look?
I thought blue light had low frequency and red light had a high frequency... or was that wavelength?

k02033

HSC
nope blue light has high f, low wavelength, more energy
and remember what characterises the EMR ie what determines that an EMR is blue light, red light, UV, x-ray is the EMR's frequency only, not its wavelength.

k02033

HSC
i could say, for example, that visible light ranges from about 400-700nm (wavelength) rather then stating its frequency range. both are equivalent by
c = f λ
No, thats not true generally, what you said is only true in vaccum where the speed of EMR is c. But obviously EMR have different speeds in difference mediums. So equation is v=fλ not c=fλ . ie an EMR's wavelength actually changes, so it slows down in mediums such as glass. but its frequency stays the same,, which determines whihc EMR it is. ie when you pass red light into glass it slows down, wavelength reduces, and f stays the same, so when it passes the glass its still red light.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)