Calling out for reactions to Dracula (1 Viewer)

HEAD0011

HSC
Hi guys,
We have an assessment at school where we must make a reader and author centred response to a text. I've decided to do Dracula for my text. So... what I'm looking for is anyone's reactions to the text-anything at all, because I want to be able to look across a wide spectrum of responses and attempt to judge whether my own reactions are concurrent with invited readings or not...
So,
thanks, hope to hear from you soon

AmieLea

HSC
dracula is AWESOME!!! :bat:however, i don't think that's the response you're after lol

personally though, i dont like it how the story line is conveyed through letters, diaries, as it tends to jump around and it's abit confusing.

i also think that Stoker should've added it from dracula's perpective, like Mary Shelley does with Frankenstein. it would've just given it a tad more, OOMP. and it would've been more interesting to read draculas justification of his deeds, ie maybe it was for revenge, he cant control his bloodlust, i dont know. though, in the society in which he wrote it, they wouldn't have liked that very much.:devil: they would've just wanted a clear cut discription of what's evil, what's not, and then wanted it dead.

also, if you're talking about a modern audience, the dialogue is very long winded in some (most) areas. and the language may be difficult for some readers to understand.

hope that's what you're after, good luck!!! :wave:

HEAD0011

HSC
Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. And any comments will really help.

le Mali

HSC
I liked the epistolary format - its different to most of what is out there at the moment. I did find it boring and labourious to get through.
But I have an increased understanding of the urban legend from it. (To be honest, I enjoyed a vampire novel that wasn't mushy Twilight-esque goo)

Mina annoyed me, she's Stokers little representation of all that he thinks women should be which is the traditional old Victorian view. From my post-femminism context, it's stupid and irritating.

I struggled to picture Dracula as a character, the description is just so at odds with the stereotype.

I thought it was all a bit fluffed up and long winded. The characters are all very self important and very very English. I often struggled to grasp what was going on when the pace got faster, couldn't picture what they were doing etc.

It's been a long while since I read the book, so I'm sorry I can't give a more detailed explanation.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
i heard dracula likes to collect stamps.

EternalFlame

HSC
well we did dracula for yr 11 and we spent AGES ON IT. If it helps I would say that the text itself greatly reporesented the way sexuality was supressed in the victoria era. The text shows it through the legend really effectlively. I agree me LeMali, mina was really irritating. I found that watching coppola's transfromation of Dracula added to my interpretation and ways of interepting dracula. So i'd say give that a watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)