Calling the Chem Coach! (1 Viewer)

Will Hunting

HSC
Hey George,

Just wanted to let you know I loved the worksheet you posted on equilibrium reactions in the Acids and Bases forum. Thanks heaps for that! I was also wondering whether you'd written any follow up worksheets on other topics from the first two modules and, if so, where I, and the BoS Chem community :)P), could find them. Sorry for the abruptness of this request, but I guess it's all part and parcel of last minute half-yearly nerves... :O

Otherwise, what do you think are the best measures to take in preparing two-days prior to the BIG DAY? Past exam papers, stoichiometry Qs, reading through your texts again? I'm not sure how light this light revision's supposed to be.

Thanks!

- Will

funking_you

Hi

Yes i do have an entire collection of worksheets on every part of the syllabus, however these notes/worksheets are for ChemCoach Students.
From time to time, i will post a 'simplified' worksheet up in these forums, to help students along on troublesome concepts.

In terms of half-yearly revision, here is what i think you should do, in the short time you have left:
  • Going to let you (and everyone that reads this) in on a secret - its a 'Secret ChemCoach Webpage' Secret ChemCoach Webpage .
    Firstly, read the top two points on the page, which tells you what you should do in preparation for your exam.
    Secondly, check out the ChemCoach Tutorial Solutions, they are posted up there on a weekly basis, however there are a few up there that i'm sure you will find relevent - the solutions (i write them personally) explain many really important concepts.

Best of luck to you AND everyone reading this, in your upcoming exam.
Just give it your best shot, and remember there is a long way to go still.

What i'd suggest also, is that someone (you) should start a thread titled 'CHEMISTRY exam tips' - so everyone can share 'tips' with each other, i'm sure the older students in these forums have some wisdom they'd like to pass on from their experiences.

keep studying...

George

Will Hunting

HSC
Just need to clear the air on a couple of syllabus dot points:

These have been taken from Part 1 of Module 1.

* Identify the following as commercially significant monomers: - vinyl chloride, and -styrene by both their systematic and common names

* Describe the uses of the polymers made from the above monomers in terms of their properties

Our teacher didn't delve too deeply, if at all, into these topics, so I was hoping someone could shed some light on these two. Just a summary of the naming, uses and properties associated with these plastics will do, and also perhaps a justification of the properties by an explanation of their atomic structures. Much appreciated!

- Will

HSC
* Identify the following as commercially significant monomers: - vinyl chloride, and -styrene by both their systematic and common names
* Describe the uses of the polymers made from the above monomers in terms of their properties

Make sure you can draw them both too, this is going from memory so slap me if im wrong

Vinyl chloride is the monomer of which polyvinyl chloride is made, its common name is PVC, and the systematic name is chloroethene ... its very hard but brittle, additives are put into the PVC to increase its physical properties (so its not brittle but hard), also used for stuff like plumbing pipes

styrene is hte monomer of polystyrene, to be honest i dont know the common name but i hear people call it styrene, the systematic name is ethenylbenzene or etheylbenzene, check your book, its a great heat insulator, used in 'foam cups'- its also very rigid, used for packaging as well as foam cups (i think because its rigid, but soft surface, acts like a cushion)

you should go through the conquering chemistry, there's alot of shit too sort through, but if you figure it out yourself and summarise it you find it sticks in, thats why i remember these 2 monomers & their usesconsiderbly well considering i did the test over a week ago, and studied even before that (I did POM ages ago, before the test i only went over acidic environment)

have fun and gl for your test!

Last edited:

Will Hunting

HSC
Also, the three stages in addition polymerisation: Initiation, Propagation and Termination. What is the exact chemistry involved in the termination phase? My teacher was never clear on that, but perhaps it's not important, and will vary greatly with the initiator used.

Is nylon synthesised from petrochemicals and petroleum fractions?

Are polyhydroxyalkanoates, the PHBV copolymer and Alcalogenes Eutrophus important to know about? I know they're at the forefront in emerging biopolymer industries.

Colligative properties of synthetic polymers are high despite the presence of dispersion forces as the only form of intermolecular attraction. Is this because the molecular weight of these polymers is high, the dispersion forces are so great in number as to become significant, or both?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)