• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Cambridge Prelim MX1 Textbook Marathon/Q&A (3 Viewers)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A
Re: Year 11 Mathematics 3 Unit Cambridge Question & Answer Thread

Thanks heaps, I get it now :)

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

Can u help solve this, like outline the steps taken? Thankyou! 13.PNG

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC

A) Differentiate it. Sub in P to find a f(x) equation. Sub in P's x value and find the y value (gradient). Using point-gradient formula, figure out the equation, and then the x and y intercepts
B) Use point line distance formula to find the distance, which should be 13 (same as radius) - circle geo - the perpendicular of a tangent at the point of contact is the radius
C) Knowing the x & y intercepts, use the area formula for triangles (Area = x * y * 1/2)
D) Use distance formula to find the hypotenuse. Then it would be hypotenuse + x + y value = perimeter.

Last edited:

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

Is it okay if you can outline the steps for q11, like authenticity did previously. just the steps only (thanks for the help again)

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

Is it okay if you can outline the steps for q11, like authenticity did previously. just the steps only (thanks for the help again)
I'll try my best, I do include comments in my working out as well and formulas used to get to the answer.

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

Thankyou, I appreciate it

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

Can someone show how to differentiate this using product rule. I am getting the last half wrong , don't know why though.
question.PNG

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

I got that though

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

this is the textbook answer I even factorised x^2(x-3)^3 out : answer.PNG

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

Oh , true ! thankyou

drsabz101

HSC
N/A

can someone show how to solve for part b Capture.PNG

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

can someone show how to solve for part b View attachment 32936
With this question, its best to visualise it on a graphing facility. It's a shame that the HSC hasn't taken the same route as VCE, WACE and IB Maths in allowing students to use such a tool as I believe the learning is enhanced immensely.

Below is a screenshot of an example I did with the parabola on Desmos.

What you can see is if the gradients are opposite in magnitude, in this case, gradients of 5 and -5, the tangent curves intersect at an external point, (2,-10.25) . You can also see that the normals intersect at (2,2.75). Forget about the coordinates in this case, what you should be doing is focusing on the shape of that quadrilateral. What shape does it look like? The shape is in fact a kite.

Given that you know the x-coordinates from part (a) , the tricky part here is to use algebra in order to find the y-coordinates. You then want to work out the distances of the vertical height.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A

I also want to say that every Development or Extension questions in the exercises, that you can knock off in Cambridge, you feel a greater appreciation for the mathematics language. Think any student in Year 11 or 12 should practice as many questions from here as they are exam standard pretty much. (especially the Development questions). It's also great in the fact that key concepts are highlighted in blue. (if you know those main formuale, equations and theory and go all over it again and again. You won't go wrong). Last year I said Fitzpatrick was a better book, I was wrong. Its Cambridge>Fitzpatrick>Lee>Grove but if your a keen maths student you would look at all resources possible.

As well as having a formulae book (which I purchased) for this subject, I make the effort in making my own theory notes. Just notes and formuale that I can go over again and again when I'm trying to refresh my memory on a certain question. I think all up I have around 100-120 pages worth of formulae, notes that I rigorously go all over and over, till its stored. (From time to time you do forget something )

Last edited:

Shuuya

HSC

I'm having a mind blank :(

Could someone remind me how to do these please? I know that it says what to do in the question but I'm getting stuck :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)