Can any past ext2 students help me out? (1 Viewer)

nahian

HSC
Re: Am I the only demotivated wreck here?

Sorry to go off in a little tangent but
I've been heaps demotivated since i got my proposal mark i got 7/10
everyone in my class got that except 2 students
Its not that I'm angry about it
I just feel I put in alot of effort and only got 7

Can any past ext2er's help me out?

edit (glitterfairy): Moved to a new thread

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jhakka

It's only 3 marks. Relax?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A

nahian said:

If nearly everyone in the class was similarly marked then you're hardly disadvantaged because your ranks aren't really set back.

HSC
N/A

nahian said:

Key phrase darling: "Everyone in my class got that except 2 students". Ie, the vast majority of you all got the same mark :) You're not falling behind. You're not ranked last. You haven't failed. Not worth worrying overmuch about.

Alternate way of looking at it: Let's assume everyone in your class is actually quite intelligent and rather talented creativity-wise. Your teacher can't give everyone 10/10... actually, they could but it'd be a bit pointless. Better to mark harshly and create a sort of "scale" - I'll let someone else go into the whole scaling specifics. Needless to say, it's far better to be marked harshly in the first place because it means your marks can only go up post-scaling at the end of the year.

And finally: What you get is what you get. Just because you feel you have put in a lot of effort doesn't mean that your teacher feels that you END PRODUCT (in this case, the proposal) is worth 10/10. I'm a bit of a America's Next Top Model fan here, so I'm going to use a model-esque analogy.

There was a girl in Season 3 called Ann who was very pretty and had a GREAT body, and always tried REALLY hard (so in a nutshell, she had all the goods) but unfortunately at the time of shooting she just didn't know how to use what she had. This doesn't mean she didn't try hard enough - it just means that she wasn't able to produce what the other girls were able to. And in situations like this (assessments), the end product is what counts. And we just have to accept that., because that's how the HSC works.

Assuming that 2 people in the class did better, have a look at their proposals (or hard copies of). Talk to them about what they did. Better still, TALK TO YOUR TEACHERS. Normally they give out a "marking guideline" prior to assessments - or at least mine did. Look at the requirements for the band of mark you got. Look at the requirements for the band you were hoping for. Not the differences - THIS IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO WORK ON.

Getting a mark that is lower than expected can be de-moralising, but it can actually be very detrimental if you allow yourself to stay in a stage of "boo hoo I got a low mark". Pick yourself up. Find out why you got the mark you did. Find out how you can get a better mark next time. Work hard on your next assessment to achieve that better mark. And hopefully - you'll get a better mark next time. Stating the obvious here, but it's not going to happen unless you know what direction to take, and work for it.

Asheroth

Paranoid Android
HSC
7/10 is a decent mark. I got 8/15 for my proposal, but I moved on, did decently in my VV and should end up finishing in the top third of the class (there's only five of us :p) In EE2 it's not really as important as some other classes because your assessment and 'exam' marks can vary so wildly.

nahian

HSC
Thanks heaps kami and glitterfairy i appreciate it
Yeh i have consulted with teachers and the other students understood why I got that mark, satisfied now

now bloody drafting
i think my redraft is taking longer then my 1st draft.. :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)