Can anybody help me with this Woodwork question? (1 Viewer)

danio33

HSC
Hey all,

First of all goodluck tomorow!

I'm very new here, but I came across this question in the usual last minute cramming on last years industrial tech wood paper (Q4, d).

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2005exams/pdf_doc/ind_tech_timber_furn_05.pdf

Its talking about joing four feet to the bottom of a single leg on a round topped table, and the question asks for a method of joining the feet with a traditional joint, and a method of joining with some form of cabinet hardware. I have no idea what cabinet hardware there is out there that could do this sort of thing, can anybody help me?

Thanks for your help
Daniel

SweetSeasons

HSC
so the traditional joint would be like a Mortice and Tennon and the cabinet hardwear would be like a knock down fitting, I'm sure there is some info on these in one of the text books you have.

danio33

HSC
Yeah I had no problem with the traditional method. I cant find anything in my text about a knock down fitting that suits this type of joint. I have looked around on the net and such and all I can find is the standard knock down fitting for making butt joints. Surely there is something out there more suited to this purpose

SweetSeasons

HSC
yeah that sthe fitting you would use.. you wouldn't make a mortice and tennon and use a knock down fitting. You just have the butt joint and then the knockdown fitting to hold it in place.
Perhaps even a doweld butt joint could be a suitable answer.

Perhaps even those little corner brackets used on both sides of the bottom of the feet??

danio33

HSC
lol thanks for your help. Chances are a question like this will not come up again anyway

Thanks

SweetSeasons

HSC
lol, just take it easy in the exam, relax.. don't leave early keep checking over.. you'll be sweet :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)