Can anyone do me a favour (1 Viewer)

hotfiree

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know the really poor scaling subjects,i found a list of all the means and all this other stuff but i have no idea what it all means so yeah could anyone please note the poorest scaling subjects.

simmowrites

HSC
Does anyone know the really poor scaling subjects,i found a list of all the means and all this other stuff but i have no idea what it all means so yeah could anyone please note the poorest scaling subjects.
Hey =]
Sorry, but I can't help you because I don't really understand all that kind of stuff. I can tell you that when choosing your subjects, don't pick them because of how well you think they scale. I suck at sciences, and loathe it. So suppose I pick chemistry because "It scales well." That doesn't mean I'm gonna do well in it in the HSC. I wouldn't study and would dread the class and the course would just be a complete waste of time. Therefore I won't get good marks.

I do food technology, and apparently that doesn't scale well. I love it so much, it's awesome. I know I can do well in it because I like it and am willing to put in the effort to do well because it interests me.

Just because a subject supposedly scales well doesn't mean you will do well in it. You can do a poorly scaled subject and still get a good mark/UAI so long as you enjoy it. Pick what YOU want to do and think you'll enjoy and don't worry about how well its gonna scale.

Good Luck.

hotfiree

HSC
N/A
Thanks buddy :)
I was worried i would get around 70 in something and have it scaled and end up meaning like in the 50s or so
I hate how everything is measured on UAI's though even for people not wanting to go to uni.
Thanks for replying good read.

jennieTalia

HSC
It is more about how you work, and your OWN marks than scaling as to your final results.

Apparently, although open to debate, poorer scaling subjects include: Drama, Visual Arts... and possibly Ancient History (although I don't think it scales badly myself, someone said it did and I ended up with good marks in it).

LordPc

HSC
if you do well, scaling wont effect you in a bad way

poorest scaling subjects would be the ones that most students do, eg Business studies, ancient history, biology, etc since so many people are doing these subjects. But if you do well, as above, scaling doesnt really effect you

and AFAIK all extensions scale well, MX's and EE's, extension 2 subjects scaling particularly well

hotfiree

HSC
N/A
Aww i really didnt want to hear history scaled bad :( Im not going to stand out above the rest of the HSC students so thats a bummer. Im guessing most humanitarian subjects are like that?

youngminii

Banned
HSC
if you do well, scaling wont effect you in a bad way

poorest scaling subjects would be the ones that most students do, eg Business studies, ancient history, biology, etc since so many people are doing these subjects. But if you do well, as above, scaling doesnt really effect you

and AFAIK all extensions scale well, MX's and EE's, extension 2 subjects scaling particularly well
Lots of people doing a subject does NOT mean it scales poorly. It depends on the subject's cohort's ability in their other subjects. Ie. the process of scaling.
Also, if you do well, scaling DOES affect you. It scales you up.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Aww i really didnt want to hear history scaled bad :( Im not going to stand out above the rest of the HSC students so thats a bummer. Im guessing most humanitarian subjects are like that?

All my subjects were either humanities or creative arts, ie, all my subjects scaled like shit, i still got over 95. If you like the subject, you put the effort in and it shows, simple as that.

LordPc

HSC
Lots of people doing a subject does NOT mean it scales poorly. It depends on the subject's cohort's ability in their other subjects. Ie. the process of scaling.
Also, if you do well, scaling DOES affect you. It scales you up.
In theory you are correct, but quite often theory differs quite remarkably from practice as in the HSC. The reason popular courses scale so badly is because these subjects provide a good range of students from the very best who will be getting high 99 UAI's to the very worst. So unless you ace the test like the other 99 UAI students, you probably wont feel the good effects of scaling

And scaling will affect you if you do well, but the difference is barely noticable. You have to do extremely well, 95+, in bad scaling subjects to really feel it

jennieTalia

HSC
Modern history scales better than Ancient, but I ended up doing a lot better in Ancient.
Trust what you're good at, rather than what you think will scale you.
I dropped maths and kept DRAMA (of all the shitty scalers) because I just didn't like it, it stressed me out and took time from other subjects, not because I was doing badly. I now realise that it was the right move for me although I worried all year about the effect on my UAI.

If you are good at science AND humanities, then think smart in terms of scaling. If you prefer and are much better at histories etc... then defo stick with them :).
Good luck :)
xo
PM me if you need any advice at all, and I will see what I can do :D

slamminsam

HSC
hii,
i really need to know does these subjects scale badly
adv english, geo, general maths, ancient hist, art, and pdhpe
ITS VERY IMPORTANT AS I HAVE TO CHOOSE MY YEAR 11 SUBJECTS SOON

runnable

HSC
hii,
i really need to know does these subjects scale badly
adv english, geo, general maths, ancient hist, art, and pdhpe
ITS VERY IMPORTANT AS I HAVE TO CHOOSE MY YEAR 11 SUBJECTS SOON
As a general rule, they all scale worse except for Eng Adv.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
In all honesty, a great number of subjects scale down with the obvious exceptions of Mathematics Ext. 2 and certain languages extensions like Latin, Japanese, etc.

You're just better off choosing the subjects you like and you know you will do well in.

The list that you have is not bad, you can achieve 100 (or at least very close) with it, really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)