Can anyone help me? I want to know... (1 Viewer)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
i think you have to become very experience & knowledgable in the area of your profession like 10yrs?...

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
After your PhD, become a post doc and do research for a few years. Get a lecturership if you can. Then you need to work your way up. Senior lecturer, associate professor, then professor. It is a long way. Some outstanding academic can jump straight into a professorship, by getting federation fellowships for example. But that's rare. Many schools have limit on how many professors they can have. If the room is full, you have to wait for someone to retire. Not that many academics can retire with professor as their title.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it'd take years, decades probably.

The younger professors are in their 40's

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I recall something about needing a degree (diploma/master/whatever) in special education, too.

SweetSeasons

HSC
why would u need a degree in special education? Special education is a course you do if you want to teach children/young adults with disabilities and so forth.

maybe a degree in adult education, is what you mean.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
SweetSeasons said:
why would u need a degree in special education? Special education is a course you do if you want to teach children/young adults with disabilities and so forth.

maybe a degree in adult education, is what you mean.
I think he means a special degree (diploma/master/whatever) in education. I also think you knew it, and wanted to be funny.

Yeah, you need to do education to become a Professor. Also many people are lecturers before they do their PhD. I know plenty of lecturers who haven't got their doctorate yet. :S

Super Pig

Full time Bludger
HSC
PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy. It's the highest degree you can get (Bachelor -> Master -> PhD). It takes 3 to 5 years of independent research and a good-quality thesis.

I don't think you need to get a Diploma in Education in order to teach at uni. You only need that to teach school kids. You may need to do some courses on how to lecture, but they'll be parallel to your employment (e.g. two afternoons per week).

PhD isn't a necessity for a lecturership in a lot of disciplines (e.g. commerce). But it is almost certainly a must for science and engineering.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
hey slider

well it probably is the same.
you should know that theres not one universal system for the whole doctorate thing.
(in the sense that some universities offer DSc (doctor of science) as an honorary degree (ie classed above a phd), while other unis offer DSc as an alternate title to the PhD (whilst you basicly do the same science based dissertation and pick which course you go in)

some unis PhD (Education) will be the same as another unis EdD, some unis difference, no universal way.

slip

HSC
being an academic/professor can mean alot of moving

my family has lived in adeliade, london(canada), quebec, duniden, brisbane and newcastle

pay in australia isnt horrible but it aint great, overseas in america and canada i know that you earn alot more money and it can fast track or career...

my dad's only adivce for me is never become an academic

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Super Pig said:
PhD stands for Doctor of Philosophy. It's the highest degree you can get (Bachelor -> Master -> PhD).
DSc, DLitt, LLD and MD are all considered 'higher' doctoral degrees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)