• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

can anyone tell me about Public Communications at UTS? (1 Viewer)

Sugar

HSC
I looked at the UAC guide, but want to know a little more about the course. Thankyou. :)

Carlz135

HSC
Absolutely.. you've done the right thing to ask more questions.
I'm happy to help, I'm a 1st year Pub Comm-er...HSC last year.
What would you like to know specifically though?

Basically, you do a major in either Public Relations or Advertising (or both), you don't have to chose this until 2nd year though coz 1st year is all set out, no electives. You do 6 subjects (3 per semester) that are general subjects that people from all 6 of the communication degrees do, then 2 (1 per semester) of Pub Comm subjects.

Communications at UTS= no exams. So when semester finishes and everyone else has exams...you're partying hard! Whilst this is great, and we all love it, and love to rub it into the others... it's not necessarily any easier. You have big assignments, and for eg, atm I have one assign for each of my 4 subjects, all due in last week of semester and they are worth 40% 50% 50% and 55%...so yeah!

I know you are probably wanting to know what I think of it...atm, that might be a scary question to ask! But I will tell you why...first year, the 'general subjects' that I mentioned above, just means you "learn" about some seemingly pretty irrelevent stuff ya know, but that's all individual taste too so it's ok. I've heard 2nd year is much better, so put it this way, I'm starting to really hang out for that!

But if you tell me what it is that has made you interested in the degree, what things you
want to learn about or like to do, then maybe I can be more specific...

HSC
Actually, i'm trying to transfer into Pub Comm.
I'm 1st year Social Inquiry.

First up, are you doing Advertising or PR? (or both :p)

Some more questions about the first year professional Pub Comm subjects:

What was the general gist of first year? (e.g. main ideas, emphasis placed on a particular principle)
Were they heavily theory based?
What kind of skills did you learn, or were you introduced to?

I think that's enough for now... cheers :)

Carlz135

HSC
Well, I am going to do PR. However I am thinking of starting the Advertising subject for first sem next year and see what I think of it.

Ist year pub comm subjects:
PCP- is the basics of communication theory, principles of communication and communication in contexts. Presentation skills also.
Research and Writing is divided into 2 parts. Writing you learn about writing speeches, feature articles, for web sites and advertising copy etc.
Research component is writing a research proposal for a pub comm campaign.. learn all about the steps in research, research questions, design, methodolgies etc etc.
it is very theory based yes...no essays, its report writing and actually writing a speech/feat.art/presentation but compared to the other first year subjects for me its been a highlight!!

Anything else?

hYperTrOphY

HSC
my sharona said:
Actually, i'm trying to transfer into Pub Comm.
I'm 1st year Social Inquiry.

First up, are you doing Advertising or PR? (or both :p)

Some more questions about the first year professional Pub Comm subjects:

What was the general gist of first year? (e.g. main ideas, emphasis placed on a particular principle)
Were they heavily theory based?
What kind of skills did you learn, or were you introduced to?

I think that's enough for now... cheers :)
Why don't you like Social Inquiry?

HSC
Carlz135 thanks for your help!! I have no more questions for the moment, my brain is utterly exhausted after doing this piece of crap journal!

Hypertrophy, Social Inquiry is really quite dithery, teaches you a lot about research methods and generally belongs in the sociology branch. I enrolled in SI thinking it would be a study of previous anthropological work. And i'm not liking the 2nd year subjects or the job prospects...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)