Can employers do background checks? (1 Viewer)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
As in, can they look up your past employment history?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i dont know, but i think they can. or maybe that's your criminal history. either way im pretty sure they can find out...

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
thats why they usually ask for references and past experiences **shock**

its just not to fill up space on your resume

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I'm pretty sure they can, but they have to tell you first and you have to be over 18. Also, they only do it in special fields, such as child care and medicine.

Danoz The Great

HSC
My mum works on the front desk at the local parish and they wanted a background check with her, btu I think that's because she would work sometimes at the Nursing Home???

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
jumb said:
I'm pretty sure they can, but they have to tell you first and you have to be over 18. Also, they only do it in special fields, such as child care and medicine.
They don't need anything of the kind to call ex-employers.
To do a more thorough background check (criminal etc) they can just put it in as a condition of employment.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
and if ur working with children u have 2 fill out a form saying u've never commited a sex offence

mmm_sofay

time to pretend
HSC
i always thought background check was when an employer looks up your criminal record.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
how can they look up your employment history? is there a central place it's kept?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
iambored: Theoretically wouldn't they be able to do it through the ATO. Since the business puts the tax in for you?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
I think the answer's probably generally not unless they ask you, or you give them permission one way or another (ie by providing references/history on a resume, or as a condition of the job).

I think beyond that there'd be some pretty major privacy concerns... once upon a time they wanted an "Australia Card", where all sorts of public bits and pieces (drivers license, TFN, etc..? don't knw what exactly, but that sorta stuff) would go onto the one card with one identifying number, etc. The idea was convenience, I believe, rather than having 50 different numbers and cards and accounts. However, it was knocked back due to the concerns some people raised about privacy.

SO, what I'm saying, is that if there are privacy concerns about something as 'simple' as making something more convenient, there'd not be any central databases, etc, that they can look up without asking/telling you. I'm a Scout leader, and they had to tell me (I had to sign a form to give permission) to let them do a criminal background check on me. From there, when you get a credit card, they're not allowed to do credit checks on you unless you've got that little box ticked saying you give them permission to...

....nothing unless you say so. (That mini-thesis is understanding, anyway!)

Epiphany

spunkrat
HSC
Okay I am not talking about a resume. I'm saying, if you choose to omit a past occupation is there a way employers can find out. I think the ATO response answered my question, thanks!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Oh the chances of them getting anything out of the ATO is slim to none, even the ATO would have a job getting it themselves due to privacy concerns.

If you want a definitive question you can wait a few weeks and I'll ask my dad who is an accountant at the ATO but Im 99% certain that they couldn't without your permission and 90% certain they couldn't even if they had your permission (if it even is possible it would most likely be too much money for something small). Although it is possible for it to come up in a fraud case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)