• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can I achieve my career goal? (1 Viewer)

ellen.louise

HSC
fair enough.

mate, with those subject choices it's pretty much impossible to get straight into a medicine degree. even people who are sitting on 99.5 can find it difficult to get in. Every uni bases entry on different things: sections of the UMAT, interview, whatever. What also helps is your subject choices: subjects that express interest in the area like Biology. You can still get into the course, but quite honestly i think it would be easier for you to repeat year 11 with some different subjects than to pay out of your arse for bridging courses in uni.
Or, try getting into a different degree. One in a related subject area. then you can do RPL and if you have a high enough average and redo the UMAT every time it comes up, you might just stand a chance.

Just make sure you're up to it. I would love to be a writer but i'm an 'almost' person. Almost good enough. Remember that there will be lives in your hands. If you have a huge doubt about being good enough, you should probably step away from your dream and do something else you are more sure about.

Last edited:

topdeck

HSC
Ok, no seriously, i don't think the op is eligible for a uai.....tafe PLUS entertainment....thats two category b courses right? Why is everyone saying you can get you way into medicine if you work hard, when the fact is plain and simple, you can't get into medicine without a uai? Or have i missed something?

cs01001

HSC
I thought some courses over at tafe is calssified as category A... Hmmm, I might be worng...

ebonybc

HSC
cccclaire said:
you're all just giving him false hope.
There's about a 1 in a million chance he'll become a paediatrician, and you all know it.
I'm just being the honest one telling him
are you serious?? have you heard of constructive critisism? just because he may not study kill yourself subjects doesnt mean he cant get into uni for the course he wants. there is a life and opportunity out of the HSC which wont have anything to do on a UAI score. people always re apply as mature age students and have just as much ability and commitment in their courses. a UAI isnt the be all and end all of life get a grip man.

and good luck to you mr.gavin

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
mr.gavin said:
ok so im doing: english standard, enlgish fundmentles, entretainment, senior science, a tafe course and somthin else i forgot. im prety smart so can i still acheive my dream of being a baby docter?
okay, so you can't spell, can't remember what you actually study, and you want to be a doctor. right. :)

ebonybc

HSC
Frigid said:
okay, so you can't spell, can't remember what you actually study, and you want to be a doctor. right. :)

who gives a flying fuck everyone spells like shit when they type.

mr.gavin

HSC
i realy wanna be a baby docter. why do i even have to do these subjeks i didnt even pick them who are all you peepol

HSC
Yeah but this is about being a doctor or all professions. You either have it or you don't.

ebonybc

HSC
heh pretty sure he was just making a joke of you all just then.

cheeky

cs01001

HSC
mr.gavin said:
i realy wanna be a baby docter. why do i even have to do these subjeks i didnt even pick them who are all you peepol
Please don't tell me your parents made you do these subjects.... Oh, its doctor btw :)

cccclaire

HSC
ebonybc said:
are you serious?? have you heard of constructive critisism? just because he may not study kill yourself subjects doesnt mean he cant get into uni for the course he wants. there is a life and opportunity out of the HSC which wont have anything to do on a UAI score. people always re apply as mature age students and have just as much ability and commitment in their courses. a UAI isnt the be all and end all of life get a grip man.

and good luck to you mr.gavin
obviously there are other ways of getting into medicine that have absolutely nothing to do with subject choices.
But seriously, have you ever heard of a "baby doctor" who did senior science and no maths in high school?
Constructive critisism is all good and well, but I'm just being honest.
He needs to look into other career options.

ellen.louise

HSC
topdeck said:
Ok, no seriously, i don't think the op is eligible for a uai.....tafe PLUS entertainment....thats two category b courses right? Why is everyone saying you can get you way into medicine if you work hard, when the fact is plain and simple, you can't get into medicine without a uai? Or have i missed something?
You can if you
a) pay full fees: this is not an option for most people because even in a CSP that's like over $12000 a year
b)Go into annother degree first, then keep applying till you get accepted.
There are a few other ways.

But your UAI only counts for courses you apply for that start the year after you complete the HSC (deferrment doesn't count in this cause you have still accepted the course). Consider the fact that UAI is a rank, not a score. so if you are applying for the same course as a different group of people, your rank in your own group doesn't really mean that much.

ellen.louise

HSC
mr.gavin said:
Lets try that again shall we?

"I really want to be a Paediatrician. Why do I have to do those subjects? I didn't even pick them. Who are all you people?"

Better?
:p

HSC
cccclaire said:
obviously there are other ways of getting into medicine that have absolutely nothing to do with subject choices.
But seriously, have you ever heard of a "baby doctor" who did senior science and no maths in high school?
Constructive critisism is all good and well, but I'm just being honest.
He needs to look into other career options.
I'm sure there are many doctors that havent done maths. I thought science (senior science isnt a real science) and english would be way more important

cs01001

HSC
Senior Science is like a mixture of physics, Chemistry and Biology, but at a easier level.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)