Can i be an engineer if i did general math? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
This coming from someone who should know what he is talking about.

I am amazed and bemused every now and then someone would pose such a question: I'm doing General Maths. Will I be able to get into Engineering?

I'm curious to know how many people with Gen Maths only background has successfully completed an Engineering degree at Usyd or Unsw?
I definitely agree with Drongoski, I mean, you can still technically get into the degree but going in having only done General Maths is madness. First of all, you are making life harder for yourself when you start engineering and secondly, why would you avoid maths only to enter a degree with a strong mathematical focus? It doesnt make much sense.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
But I'm sure they go through only the relevant topics as opposed to every 3U topic
If you only did General Maths though you would probably need to go through a lot of topics in order to catch up (probably even relatively basic algebra).

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
If you only did General Maths though you would probably need to go through a lot of topics (probably even relatively basic algebra).
I consider General Maths to be pretty distinct from 2U/3U/4U. At least if the OP were doing 2U they would have some foundation, General Maths is just wholly inadequate.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
What do you think??
I think slim to none. However there that slight chance that OPs school didn't offer general math, he is at the top of his cohort etc. Considering he didn't mention either of these I thought i would ask the question anyways

This coming from someone who should know what he is talking about.

I am amazed and bemused every now and then someone would pose such a question: I'm doing General Maths. Will I be able to get into Engineering?

I'm curious to know how many people with Gen Maths only background has successfully completed an Engineering degree at Usyd or Unsw?
again probably little to none

Red_of_Head

HSC
Around the end of last year, I said you could do it.

But after going through the Maths (Advanced) and Maths Extension books over the last 3 years, I say it's very hard to catch up. It's not a subject that can be covered wholly in a short 6 week course, this is a subject that is learnt over a long time 2-3 years on top of the university years.

For eg I look at a UNSW 2nd year Civil Engineering maths unit, this is its description:

"Partial differentiation and applications, vector algebra, double integrals, ordinary differential equations, introduction to vector field theory, extrema of functions of 2 variables, matrices and their applications, Laplace transforms, Fourier series, partial differential equations and their solution for selected physical problems."

a 6 week summer bridging course won't cover 1st year calculus (think it makes up 50% of the content in the HSC maths units) and vectors (if you take IB SL/HL- which I think is the hardest topic in SL). You would probably need to get a tutor or take possible a year long program to cover the basics.
You should be looking at the first year courses. Most of the stuff in MATH1131 is pretty basic and repeats things from extension units. Partial differentiation, vector algebra, ODEs, matrices are all covered in first year.

Even still, OP could just take an intro course and catch up in the summer or take an extra semester to finish up.

Red_of_Head

HSC
medicalscientist10, this is from the UNSW Maths bridging course page:

No Maths or General Maths in High School?

The “Mathematics Essentials for Higher Education, course no 29330”, offered in partnership by UNSW and TAFE Randwick is suitable for students who have no background in the HSC ‘2-Unit’ Mathematics and it will also be suitable for students who are having difficulty with Mathematics in their first year of their chosen University course. Search for course 165-29330V01.

How to apply: Please visit TAFE NSW or phone 1300 360 601.

Further enquiries: Asha Swarup, Head Teacher, Mathematics and Science, Email: asha.swarup@tafensw.edu.au, Phone: 9469 856

Last edited:

xervienne

HSC
Uni Grad
Engineering mainly based on Math, Physics & Chemistry. You should have basic knowledge in these subject. Otherwise you will not survive.
If you are not good these subjects don't go for it.
There are two ways, you can choose

1. Go for other career options
2. study hard on these subjects. Take help from your school or coaching teachers. Buy good reference books.
Best of Luck.

sami90210

HSC
I'm late to this but to anyone whos reading and wondering the question asked: u absolutely can be an engineer with standard math. you just need self-discipline, that's all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)