can i do BMED units in a B Sc degree? (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
for the science part of my double degree, i am majoring in psychology, and i also want to do BMED units... can i do this?

if not, whats a major thats very similar to the units you do in a B Med Sc degree? I want my second major to be something medical-ish

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
Hey. First of all congrats on that offer! Looks like you fulfilled your ATAR aim by a mile.

I'm not studying science atm but I do know a bit about it. If you really want to do something medical, you could major in Anatomy and Histology or Pharmacology; depending on what aspect of medicine you want to get into. Obviously you wont be able to copy the degree exactly, but these majors certainly overlap with B Med Sci.

If you dont want to study medical units that intensively, you could do the majors you want, such as psychology. At the same time, you could choose some electives from the anatomy/histology or pharmacology subject areas. Usyd offers a really flexible science degree. You could even choose electives that aren't science related.

To answer ur question. yer you could keep ur philosophy and do some Med elective units. Its just a matter of choosing the specific units you want =\

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
for the science part of my double degree, i am majoring in psychology, and i also want to do BMED units... can i do this?

if not, whats a major thats very similar to the units you do in a B Med Sc degree? I want my second major to be something medical-ish
No. All medical units are generally med/dent/pharm/physio student only at most unis.

There are none in medical science that mirror medicine (MBBS) in general. There are units such as pathophysiology in medical science, and general sciences that get covered in med in the first couple of weeks. Even the anatomy and histology, pharmakinetics and dynamics done in medical science are different to that of medicine. These are hard sciences and are time exhaustive with 3-4 hr lab sessions + lectures + tutes, so don't waste ur time and your major/minors electives on this.

Michaelmoo

cbff...
HSC
No. All medical units are generally med/dent/pharm/physio student only at most unis.

There are none in medical science that mirror medicine (MBBS) in general. There are units such as pathophysiology in medical science, and general sciences that get covered in med in the first couple of weeks. Even the anatomy and histology, pharmakinetics and dynamics done in medical science are different to that of medicine. These are hard sciences and are time exhaustive with 3-4 hr lab sessions + lectures + tutes, so don't waste ur time and your major/minors electives on this.
You're right in that you cant choose the units specific to Bmed as they're too comprehensive. But there are medical related units you could choose.

Choosing them isn't a waste of time.... especially if you want a medical edge to your science degree as she said.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

sorry i think you misunderstood. BMED units at usyd are actually part of the medical science course (not medicine)... i was just wondering if i could take them as a part of a bachelor of science?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
so basically which of the following majors are the most similar to B Med Sc?

Anatomy and histology
Cell pathology
immunology
microbiology
pharmacology
physiology

and if you could provide examples of what career they can lead to, thatd be awesome :eek:

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A

Anatomy and histology
Cell pathology
immunology
microbiology
pharmacology
physiology
From my understanding in Med Sci you learn generally about the human body you would then learn about all of the above topics and then major in one of them.
and if you could provide examples of what career they can lead to, thatd be awesome :eek:
For Med Sci?
medical research, hospital lab work, working in industries such as pharm/cosmetics, govt, pathway to MBBS

EDIT: you can see a sample Med Sci degree at http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/science/05_ug_enrol_advice_bach_medsci.shtml#bmedsc

Last edited:

imyh

HSC

Anatomy and histology
Cell pathology
immunology
microbiology
pharmacology
physiology
Yeah, MedSc students study all of the above, and more. In fact all the BMED subjects at USYD covers almost all parts of the science underpinning medicine.

However BMED subjects can only be taken by medical science students at usyd, I guess that's why people take up that degree so as to be exposed to all general areas of medical science, before focusing on a particular few during the 3rd year.

If you want to be medical-ish, yeah I guess anatomy and physiology? But it doesn't make sense because they're called bmed for a reason~

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ok so for example, say if i majored in pharmacology or physiology, what kind of career would each of these majors lead me to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)