can i do my major in first year? (1 Viewer)

Hikari Clover

HSC
i was told that the units that we r doing in first year wouldnt be counted toward the major, is it true that major starts second year?

i am currently doing some senior units(requirement of my major) in my first year studies.what if it does count ,so am i supposed to do other senior units next year?

so confused:bomb: plz help

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Are you saying that you've already started 2XXX subjects in first year?

Actually it doesn't matter. Usually a major needs to be completed by completing 36 senior credit points, no matter when you do them.

And after you're done with that maybe you can do another 12 cp for Honours or just do something else (senior subjects if you've exhausted your junior credit points)

Resident

HSC
Only senior units of study are counted towards majors, but you will need junior and intermediate level units that make up the prerequisites for the senior units you want to do. So in most cases units towards a major start in third year.

Senior units of study can count towards a major regardless of when you do them.

Hikari Clover

HSC
what are intermediate level units?
1xxx junior unit
2xxx intermediate unit
3xxx senior unit
right?

izzy88

HSC
what are intermediate level units?
1xxx junior unit
2xxx intermediate unit
3xxx senior unit
right?
it depends on the faculty you're studying in. in arts (well at least history, ancient history etc), there are really not many 3xxx senior units anymore (in ancient there's one a semester which they've recently introduced, and history doesn't have them anymore). So really 2xxx subjects are considered senior subjects- you can go through your entire degree and not do a 3xxx subject- it doesn't affect your major at all- a major is just 36 'senior' credit points (ie. 2xxx or 3xxx subjects).

edit: opps so to answer the original question- if you're doing 2xxx subjects in first year they can count towards your major (in arts), but i would check with your actual faculty.

Last edited:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
AFAIK, I believe 2nd year WORK and ARIN subjects can be taken as early as 2nd semester, 1st year.

There are quite a few info subjects that only require assumed knowledge, not pre-requisites, but i'm not sure if you can enroll in them in first year (not that i would recommend it anyway).

Hikari Clover

HSC
it depends on the faculty you're studying in. in arts (well at least history, ancient history etc), there are really not many 3xxx senior units anymore (in ancient there's one a semester which they've recently introduced, and history doesn't have them anymore). So really 2xxx subjects are considered senior subjects- you can go through your entire degree and not do a 3xxx subject- it doesn't affect your major at all- a major is just 36 'senior' credit points (ie. 2xxx or 3xxx subjects).

edit: opps so to answer the original question- if you're doing 2xxx subjects in first year they can count towards your major (in arts), but i would check with your actual faculty.

yep i am majoring in Japanese which belongs to arts faculty lol
if its right then i would finish all my 36 senior credit pts by my second year,hopefully:wave:

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
But not in other faculties? :confused:
most science subjects only count 3rd year subjects towards majors, but that said, most 3rd year science subjects have 2nd year subjects as pre-reqs so you'd end up doing them anyway.

Smithereens

HSC
Are we allowed to units that exceed 36 senior credit points in one area eg- History?

If so, does that mean if we do, say 7 or 8, a senior unit that we do in the First Year could not count towards our Major?

Hikari Clover

HSC
Are we allowed to units that exceed 36 senior credit points in one area eg- History?

If so, does that mean if we do, say 7 or 8, a senior unit that we do in the First Year could not count towards our Major?
i believe 60 is the maximum that could be done from one single area

izzy88

HSC

you can definitely exceed 36 senior credit points of history- if only because you need to do 48 senior credit points of history to do honours :) (ie. you would be fine doing 8 senior units) However, i know there is a maximum somewhere after 48 but i'm not sure what that is. Check the Arts handbook- it has all the rules at the back.

HSC
goony said:
most science subjects only count 3rd year subjects towards majors, but that said, most 3rd year science subjects have 2nd year subjects as pre-reqs so you'd end up doing them anyway
Oh really? How many 3xxx science units do you need to make up a major?

you can definitely exceed 36 senior credit points of history- if only because you need to do 48 senior credit points of history to do honours :) (ie. you would be fine doing 8 senior units) However, i know there is a maximum somewhere after 48 but i'm not sure what that is. Check the Arts handbook- it has all the rules at the back.
Maximum is 60 credit points in one subject area for the arts faculty - although you can apply to have this limit waived.

Josie164

HSC
24cp usually, 48cp for an advanced degree i think.
You have to take 24cp usually. For an advanced degree, you have to take 48cp of Senior units, but only 24cp have to be in your major. Those 24 have to be at advanced level though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)