Can I get into UNSW Advanced Science with this ATAR? (1 Viewer)

teequal

HSC
Cut Off will be 95, guaranteed is 96

87.85 Atar (FML got 89 estimates)
4 Bonus points from HSC Plus for Band 5's in chem and bio
EAS Application for Disadvantaged School and Financial Hardship

Can I just make it in? This is my dream course and I really want some piece of mind I'm a lil stressed.

UPDATE: Spoke to a wonderful girl at UNSW, she told me my selection rank is 94.85. HOWEVER, I have not submitted my supplementary financial hardship EAS application and she informed me a successful application is one bonus point guaranteed and 2 is very possible.
With 1 point I am pushed to 95.85 (Over cut off hell yeah)
With 2 points I am pushed to 96.85 (GUARANTEED HECK YEAH x10)

Thanks so much for the useful information everyone! I appreciate the help a lot!

Last edited:

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
It's really difficult to tell. In a very competitive year (huge demand) I think you would narrowly miss out. In a non competitive year you have a slim chance of getting in.

Have you considered preferencing B Science? I think with your ATAR you will receive an offer for B Science. There is not much difference between B Science and B Adv Science. The main difference is the extra year you do in B Adv Science to complete your honours research. Other than that, you do pretty much similar subjects with Adv Science students having the option of doing "Advanced" subjects. So e.g. B Science students will enrol in Physics but B Adv Science students have the option of doing Physics or Advanced Physics.

You could also apply for an Internal Transfer after 1 year of B Science. I think from memory the minimum average you need in first year is 70 which is achievable.

Good luck.

teequal

HSC
It's really difficult to tell. In a very competitive year (huge demand) I think you would narrowly miss out. In a non competitive year you have a slim chance of getting in.

Have you considered preferencing B Science? I think with your ATAR you will receive an offer for B Science. There is not much difference between B Science and B Adv Science. The main difference is the extra year you do in B Adv Science to complete your honours research. Other than that, you do pretty much similar subjects with Adv Science students having the option of doing "Advanced" subjects. So e.g. B Science students will enrol in Physics but B Adv Science students have the option of doing Physics or Advanced Physics.

You could also apply for an Internal Transfer after 1 year of B Science. I think from memory the minimum average you need in first year is 70 which is achievable.

Good luck.
Thanks for a detailed reply! I'm looking to pursue a career in research so that's why I'm valuing the Advanced title, I know the courses aren't too different. I have guaranteed entry for B Science, I'm just hoping I can narrowly get into Advanced because I know I'm capable despite the ATAR being below the cut off.

HSC
N/A
Cut Off will be 95, guaranteed is 96

87.85 Atar (FML got 89 estimates)
4 Bonus points from HSC Plus for Band 5's in chem and bio
EAS Application for Disadvantaged School and Financial Hardship

Can I just make it in? This is my dream course and I really want some piece of mind I'm a lil stressed.
I made a slighly similar thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org...0/how-ipt-into-adv-math-commerce-science.html

I got 90.35, but had a decent amount of extra-curriculars, bonus points etc and just made it into Guaranteed Entry.

Given that GE is about a point higher, minus the EAP, someone with a similar ATAR should be able to make it in, and I was applying to commerce w/ a GE of 97.2 instead of 96!

Its worth a shot, I don't know by how far I made it in so you might be safe.

My points:

ATAR 90.35
advanced english Band 5
Mathematics 2U Band 5
Math Ext 1 Band 5

EAP bonus points = 1
EAS bonus points = exact same as you

Good luck!

HSC
N/A
I'm tipping you to get in.

I'm not entirely sure what transam up there is wholly accurate. I've met people in commerce at unsw with 88-90 atars (which is always a highly competitive degree regardless) and they had similar if not the same amount of bonus points.

My theory is that if your bonus points put you over the threshold, you'll get in, unless theres a random spike (which is unlikely) in Adv science preferences

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)