Can I handle MATH1131? (1 Viewer)

kjerste

HSC
I got 81 in 2U last year and am trying to go over the basics of 3U before uni starts. Do you think I'll be able to handle MATH1131? If not, what are my options? Can I take a lower math course and defer MATH1131 to another semester?

HSC
N/A
I got 81 in 2U last year and am trying to go over the basics of 3U before uni starts. Do you think I'll be able to handle MATH1131? If not, what are my options? Can I take a lower math course and defer MATH1131 to another semester?
if you are looking over 3unit math you only really need to look at inverse functions and integration by substitution, surprisingly there isnt alot of 3/4 unit math in first year math

kjerste

HSC
if you are looking over 3unit math you only really need to look at inverse functions and integration by substitution, surprisingly there isnt alot of 3/4 unit math in first year math
That's a huge relief. So in terms of conceptual difficulty and workload, what level of hsc math is this course comparable to?

i got 81 in 2u i think, i did bridging course at uni for maths ext 1, and i did fine in math1131
Wish I could do the bridging course but I'm too far from unsw ATM to be there. I heard that this course has some 4u proofs. Is this true?

Sorry for all the questions. Maths is not my forte and I'm quite anxious to say the very least.

HSC
N/A
That's a huge relief. So in terms of conceptual difficulty and workload, what level of hsc math is this course comparable to?

its like 3unit difficulty, alot of it is just over 2unit material and learning strict definitions about limits ( which are not that hard concepts in my opinion ).

The calculus section involves limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, a bit on parametrics ( but not alot, and its kinda different from 3unit parametrics ) , then logarithms and introduction to hyperbolic trig functions

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
everything they teach you is from scratch, it just might be a bit quick for you but if you study up then you will understand it all, just ask the lecturer or a tutor anything you dont understand, or send them and email and they'll be more than welcome to help.

you can really just self learn maths, so i think you'll be ok.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
dont worry, not really any proofs.
I won't lie, it won't be easy for you, but not impossible to do well.
You'll have to work hard i think. But mainly just make sure you can do the basic questions for each topic and you should be okay.
Don't stress too much before uni, they'll go through it pretty slowly in lectures but make sure you try some of the questions each week.

good luck

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Don't skip lectures, listen in them. Do your homework, read the notes again and again until you get it.

Easy HD.

HSC
N/A
Don't skip lectures, listen in them. Do your homework, read the notes again and again until you get it.

Easy HD.
lol coming from mr 4unit asn tryhard, quite obvious you didnt even read the fact that she did 2unit math and didnt get a super flash mark for that.

if someone can get an HD in math 1A after getting 80 in 2unit they have put in alot of work ( and thus it wouldnt have been an "easy HD" )

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I got lower than you in HSC 2 unit math (low 70's I think), although also done extension 1 (which will help you a little bit, i.e. binomial theorem etc, although not that much really). Math1131 was not easy although I did do okay in it in the end. Math1231 is a lot easier than Math1131 I thought.

- Study the class test examples in the Notes books and make sure you can do them as the class tests you get will be similar. You need to 'rinse and repeat' and regurgitate the solutions basically.
- Study Maple, that works out o be an easy 10% or something
- Study the worked solutions to the previous exam papers closer to exam time.

If you fail Math1131 or Math1231 though you really are screwed to a certain degree if you can't do a summer bridging course and repeat it due to Math1231 only being offered in Semester 2 I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)