Can i still do it ? (1 Viewer)

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
Heyyy

i am a year 12 student with kind of a worry. : (

In year 11, i broke my leg severly, and that stopped me attending classes throughout second and third terms and therefore missing heeeeaaaappps of work. when i was finnally fit enough to return i had year 12 exams, the ones that count to our HSC.

I reallllly screwed up these exams. i got like 50s, 60s and 70s in these exams (except english, in which i got 87). I want to get a UAI of around 95/96 + because i want to do medicine. Is there still a chance i can achieve my goals? Or is the only way to get like 99% in every test from now on?

Need of some support.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
chicky_pie said:
from what i have calculated, you're gonna get the same UAI as i did when i did the hsc....

thanks thats heaps helpful *sarcasm*

mzduxx2006

HSC
it is possible. u just have to work really hard. really hard. its REALLY hard to achieve a UAI of 95./96. lower ur standards abit that way if u get above 95/96 u will be stoked.

Evilo

HSC
to be honest i think you have to speak to your lchool advisor about where you are in rankings and if they are going to "calculate" last terms mark based on this years etc.

I remember in our maths class the average was 24% - almost all of us got decent marks - so a school mark isnt necessarily an indicative of UAI.

testiclepilot

HSC
Most of these assessments are 10-20%, which come to 5-10% once you factor in the fact that 50% of the marks are from external.

Just chill. I'm sure you could try to argue EAS, but knuckle down instead.

yosemite sam

HSC
I don't really understand why you had exams that early on in the hsc period that count but my advice is theres no point deciding that you've screwed up now and giving up.
You need to look into catching up on the work you missed, especially for science and maths subjects. Just because you didn't do as well as you hoped n a couple of assessments isn't going to ruin your uai - trust me - i had a psychopathic best friend and chronic fatigue syndrome all the way through my hsc and i still got a uai of 88.95 while sleeping 12-15 hours a day.
Commit to what you want and just try your best. That's all anyone can ask.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
siddharthlaha said:
In year 11, i broke my leg severly, and that stopped me attending classes throughout second and third terms and therefore missing heeeeaaaappps of work. when i was finnally fit enough to return i had year 12 exams, the ones that count to our HSC.

I reallllly screwed up these exams. i got like 50s, 60s and 70s in these exams (except english, in which i got 87). I want to get a UAI of around 95/96 + because i want to do medicine. Is there still a chance i can achieve my goals? Or is the only way to get like 99% in every test from now on?

Need of some support.
Hey,:)
I missed 3 straight months of Year 11 too (in hospital) & I'm just beginning Year 12 now. It was so frustrating not being able to go to classes, but regardless of how much work missed in preliminary course, lassour Year 12 marks shouldn't be affected. I know that Year 11 provides core background for many topics (eg a dress rehearsal for English AOS) but as long as you are able to attend Year 12 classes & complete the work, you should be fine. And as for your exam marks - remember that's just ONE assessment & only counts for like 10% of your /50 for internal. Maximise your marks for the other 40% in these coming months.
Good luck :)

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Yeah. Why can't you do it? If you can find '20 good reasons' to give up, then give up. Otherwise you have enough time to attain whatever you want. A future doctor (as you can do Med) is optimistic, enthusiastic and genuinely passionate toward what he desires to do. I hope you would be him.

HSC
You screwed up one set of exams that's okay, just keep trying hard for the rest of the coming assessments. And I think you are eligible to apply for a misadventure form if u haven't already seeing your situation. But I'm not sure. You should ask your year coordinator to clarify.

Best of luck!

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
Hey,

Of course you can do it, don't give up just yet :)

When you get back to school the first thing I'd suggest is that you go speak to your teachers, year advisor or principal about what can be done. Since you missed so much school and had a big disadvantage they should be able to do work something out - such as giving you estimate marks for the exams you messed up, based on your future marks for this year. It's only fair, because you shouldn't have to suffer for something that was beyond your control. They basically have to do something.

Once you get that sorted, those marks won't be counted & you'll just need to work really hard to get the marks you need for the rest of the year. :)

Like suggested you can always apply for the EAS at the end of the year if your marks are severely effected, but since you want to get into medicine it wouldn't really be of much use because the majority (or all) uni's do not take it into account for med applicants.

I know it's really hard doing Year 12 when you've missed so much school, I was really sick for my last few years & missed more classes than I attended lol, but just keep on going and trying your hardest to reach your goal and I'm sure you will be fine. If worse comes to worse there are heaps of other options to get into the course you want, but hopefully you won't need to think about any of those :)

Good luck!!

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
You can most definitely achieve your goals if you stay focused and determined. You have done well in your first assessments, given that you have missed so many lessons. The first assessments are worth little in the grand scheme of the HSC - it is your final internal ranks that bears 50% of the ultimate significance, so don't let yourself be distracted. You still have plenty of time and lots of opportunities left to catch up with and even excel your peers. If you need a walking example, I'll put myself forward. I took leave from school for three years (2002-2005) to receive medical treatment overseas for a chronic illness. I managed to catch up quickly and perform well in the HSC even though I've only ever spent one year in high school prior to my return in mid-2006. Of course, to do this you will need to put in a lot of hard work - but as long as you are willing to put in the effort, you can do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)