Can i still get 80% atar HELP? (1 Viewer)

EG16

HSC
So I only studied for 1 of my 6 subjects for my trials due to the enjoyment of it. I got my trial marks back and let just say I did bad...

Trial Marks

Information process technology: 93%
Chem: 26%
Physics: 19%
ENGINEERING 37.5%
English Advanced: 49%
Mathematics Advanced: 14%

So, I need an atar of 80% to do engineering, is it still possible? My current assignment marks are

................Maths:...........Physics.............CHEM.........IPT.............Engineering...........EGNLISH ADVANCED:
Task 1:.....44%..............61%...................75%...........89%..........81%........................74%
Task 2:.....66%..............83%...................85%...........87%..........71%........................66%
Task 3:.....74%..............63%...................93%...........89%..........77%..................52%

PLS HELP, is it all over? Or do I still have a chance?

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
It is going to be quite difficult, because you are lacking in many subjects rather than 1 or 2 being a problem

EG16

HSC
It is going to be quite difficult, because you are lacking in many subjects rather than 1 or 2 being a problem
What would i need to achieve it? And would you recommend me drop anything?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Wow. Dude if you're getting 14% in the trials for Maths Advanced, engineering is going to be 4yrs of struggle street (unless you do environmental engineering or Software/IT).

sida1049

HSC
Wow. Dude if you're getting 14% in the trials for Maths Advanced, engineering is going to be 4yrs of struggle street (unless you do environmental engineering or Software/IT).
Even then, failing 2U would be insufficient for software/IT since higher maths does appear in those degrees from time to time. And surely environment engineering incorporates mathematically modelling at some point.

TAFE is probably the optimal decision here.

EG16

HSC
I didn’t study for anything but IPT. Literally walked in for maths did like multiple choice, 2 questions then left it. I don’t know why but I just lost motivation.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Even then, failing 2U would be insufficient for software/IT since higher maths does appear in those degrees from time to time. And surely environment engineering incorporates mathematically modelling at some point.

TAFE is probably the optimal decision here.
Yeh true that, I only singled out environmental since one of my friends did it and she told me it's a super hand-wavy engineering degree haha.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I didn’t study for anything but IPT. Literally walked in for maths did like multiple choice, 2 questions then left it. I don’t know why but I just lost motivation.
Yeh but even without studying, getting a reasonable (not necessarily good) mark shouldn't be too hard to manage. Some yr10 math, a bit of elementary calculus, and just some minor recollection of the topics should be sufficient to get you to the 30-40% mark. Like, if you absolutely cannot recall a single thing the past 2yrs, that's super worrying - you'll get absolutely flattened by the math in engineering.

sida1049

HSC
In general, enjoyment (or the lack thereof) in the short term is a poor reason to do (or not to do) something. By not working on things you need to do (but not necessarily enjoy) right now, you're hindering your long-term (and hence overall) enjoyment. This is poor decision-making, and a part of growing up is to make adult decisions and do things you don't necessarily enjoy, perhaps so you can enjoy yourself more in the future, or because you have to do something for someone you care for.

Moving into the future, you should get used to making effort for things and sacrifices out of obligation to yourself. This may mean studying hard for TAFE or uni courses you don't necessarily enjoy. That way, you can secure long term goals that will benefit yourself.

EG16

HSC
Yeh but even without studying, getting a reasonable (not necessarily good) mark shouldn't be too hard to manage. Some yr10 maths, a bit of elementary calculus, and just some minor recollection of the topics should be sufficient to get you to the 30-40% mark.
It was a difficult exam, average was 33%, in a class of 15 students. I could’ve hit it but I’m just lazy.

sida1049

HSC
Yeh true that, I only singled out environmental since one of my friends did it and she told me it's a super hand-wavy engineering degree haha.
Yeah I'd believe that.

Let u(t) denote aggregate utility of society under climate change. Then u(t) = 1/t.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
It was a difficult exam, average was 33%, in a class of 15 students. I could’ve hit it but I’m just lazy.
Fair enough. Well, nothing you can do now except destroy the externals lol.

EG16

HSC
Fair enough. Well, nothing you can do now except destroy the externals lol.
So if I got 80-90 through all my externals, there’s a chance of scoring between a 75-80 atar?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
So if I got 80-90 through all my externals, there’s a chance of scoring between a 75-80 atar?
Without trying to sound rude or degrading, I think the point is in asking can you score 80-90 for your externals? In such a short time improve every subject from marks of 10-20% to 80-90% is literally impossible.. I think you should consider any alternative pathways as this may be the best path for you.

EG16

HSC
Without trying to sound rude or degrading, I think the point is in asking can you score 80-90 for your externals? In such a short time improve every subject from marks of 10-20% to 80-90% is literally impossible.. I think you should consider any alternative pathways as this may be the best path for you.
It’s not that, I just didn’t bother in the trials. I already have all my notes, content, and other recourse to look over. I just need to do last questions. The problem is I Just lost motivation 2 weeks before the trials. My whole grade was in the same boat. My whole grade got a lecture on how we’re the first grade the school has seen to achieve 30-50 (IPT being 50) averages throughout all their trial papers. The content or work Isn’t hard. And I can get that mark. My whole grade aswell as myself were just pushed too hard during year 11 and the transition to year 12 wasn’t the best as we lost 4+ teachers due to a conflict that happened with the principal. Our school is currently sitting between 240-250 from the last time i checked. I can do it. I know I can.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
What would i need to achieve it? And would you recommend me drop anything?
You are going to need to basically score high band 5s to band 6 in the external to balance the poor internal marks, which is why I said it's hard because if you haven't been consistently doing that in the year it is hard to see how you will perform at that level in the externals (as these exams are sometimes harder than peoples school assessments)

D-BOSS

HSC
N/A
Very hard. Your trials count towards your HSC, and keep going like this, you're HSC marks are not going to be any better, unless you start studying hard now.

BadAtStudying

HSC
My brother got really bad results in his trials and he let that get to him. But after getting over it and studying a lot he ended up getting a 76 atar and with bonus points, he was able to get into his preferred course in UTS for engineering. it's not too late, yes you didn't do that great but you have time to improve. Also weirdly he failed his trials but his school marks weren't that bad, I guess not everyone did so well so they were a bit higher than expected.

HSC
N/A
So I only studied for 1 of my 6 subjects for my trials due to the enjoyment of it. I got my trial marks back and let just say I did bad...

Trial Marks

Information process technology: 93%
Chem: 26%
Physics: 19%
ENGINEERING 37.5%
English Advanced: 49%
Mathematics Advanced: 14%

So, I need an atar of 80% to do engineering, is it still possible? My current assignment marks are

................Maths:...........Physics.............CHEM.........IPT.............Engineering...........EGNLISH ADVANCED:
Task 1:.....44%..............61%...................75%...........89%..........81%........................74%
Task 2:.....66%..............83%...................85%...........87%..........71%........................66%
Task 3:.....74%..............63%...................93%...........89%..........77%..................52%

PLS HELP, is it all over? Or do I still have a chance?
of course you can get an 80% so many people went from bad scores to 1st in rank so study hard and u will do that enigneering course!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)