Can I still get the highest atar(in my school)? (1 Viewer)

throwaway1

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to get the highest atar in your school if you come 2nd or 3rd(overall) in your school(Internal ranking)

From my understanding, I'll take the hsc mark depending on your rank at school
e.g the person ranked 2nd will get half his own hsc mark and the half the 2nd highest hsc mark in his school

I really want to get dux of my school(Highest atar in my school) but I don't think I'll rank first

Ranks:
20% Math 5/50
20% Math Ext 1 7/30
10% English 51/90 (I know, I fucked up bad :( )
25% Physics 8/20
25% Chem 8/30
15% SDD 3/8
30% SOR 20/112

I'm hoping I can increase the ranks with some hard work, is it still possible or is this not possible?

norwegianwood

HSC
you can definitely get the highest atar if you're second or third. you're not even close to second or third though.

last year i was first in all my five subjects internally. my friend was 2nd to me in three of those subjects, 4th in one of them, and 1st in the subject we didn't have in common. it shows how big a role the externals play as he ended up with a higher atar than me (by quite a bit!)

you really shouldn't get hung up over getting dux... especially from where you're sitting.

throwaway1

HSC
N/A
you can definitely get the highest atar if you're second or third. you're not even close to second or third though.

last year i was first in all my five subjects internally. my friend was 2nd to me in three of those subjects, 4th in one of them, and 1st in the subject we didn't have in common. it shows how big a role the externals play as he ended up with a higher atar than me (by quite a bit!)

you really shouldn't get hung up over getting dux... especially from where you're sitting.
:( thanks for that i guess..., I'll try to come first in the remainders of the exams because tbh I've been kinda bludging for the first term and it's only just now I've started to step up my gain. :p

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Chick at my school who placed second in after the person wjo was coming first in all subjects besides english got dux (99.7).

From external phys results the chick who came first internally got a 92, the chick who came second got a 96 and the guy who came third state ranked got 98.

Lol

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
yea GL getting dux with that english.

you maybe interested in some of my resources ;)

D94

HSC
N/A
e.g the person ranked 2nd will get half his own hsc mark and the half the 2nd highest hsc mark in his school
Your understanding is incorrect. Your final mark is the average of your HSC exam mark and the assessment mark. The HSC exam mark is obviously your own performance in the HSC exam. Your assessment mark is a mark that is proportional to how you performed at school. What this means is having a mark that is 2% behind first place puts you in a better position than having a mark that is 20% behind first place. It is not the HSC mark of your rank, as you are saying. It is therefore important to gain as many marks as possible at school, and that is more important than your rank. If your school mark is close to first, then your final assessment mark will be close to first, and similarly if your school mark is far from first.

Also, I don't understand the point of asking about whether or not it is possible. In any case, if you want to do well, you should aim for the highest marks possible. You are telling us that you want to be dux, then asking us to speculate how your cohort may perform, and then asking us whether or not it is possible to do any better...well all of that is out of our control and if I said it was impossible, would you just give up trying??

throwaway1

HSC
N/A
Also, I don't understand the point of asking about whether or not it is possible. In any case, if you want to do well, you should aim for the highest marks possible. You are telling us that you want to be dux, then asking us to speculate how your cohort may perform, and then asking us whether or not it is possible to do any better...well all of that is out of our control and if I said it was impossible, would you just give up trying??
Nah, like any other year 12 kid in our school I wanted a Atar of 90+ but I just had a sudden desire to become dux after our 2013 dux had a speech and I was just wondering if I could be dux as no-one else has asked any similar questions to this.

Last edited:

Kymren

HSC
A kid in my school a couple of years ago was ranked first internally.
He got sick and did barely any of his External exams and was Dux!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Is it possible to get the highest atar in your school if you come 2nd or 3rd(overall) in your school(Internal ranking)

I really want to get dux of my school(Highest atar in my school) but I don't think I'll rank first

Ranks:
20% Math 5/50
20% Math Ext 1 7/30
10% English 51/90 (I know, I fucked up bad :( )
25% Physics 8/20
25% Chem 8/30
15% SDD 3/8
30% SOR 20/112

I'm hoping I can increase the ranks with some hard work, is it still possible or is this not possible?
What is your school rank?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
If you're doing standard Eng then you're looking at an ATAR of around 90 - 93 max

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It's almost always the school rank that's missing in the first post of a thread like this
Doesn't change anything. Without a big jump in rankings and great performance in externals getting the highest atar is unrealistic.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're doing standard Eng then you're looking at an ATAR of around 90 - 93 max
not necessarily, he's coming in the top 20 for most of his subjects, excluding English. My school was ranked in the 110s last year and a guy didn't come close to his ranks and still achieved a 92.. and Im talking about really menial ranks, Im sure op is around at LEAST the 95 mark

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
not necessarily, he's coming in the top 20 for most of his subjects, excluding English. My school was ranked in the 110s last year and a guy didn't come close to his ranks and still achieved a 92.. and Im talking about really menial ranks, Im sure op is around at LEAST the 95 mark
Standard english will drag his atar down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)