Can Labor win the 2016 federal election? (1 Viewer)

Can Labor win the 2016 federal election?

• Yes

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • No

Votes: 14 24.6%

• Total voters

jdennis

HSC
I think the labor and greens behavior is disgusting...... that why they should wiped out and replaced with a suited opposition party.... if labor want to prove that they are good opposition.... they should come up with alternatives rather that to say no to everything.... and greens should be purely wiped out...

If labor can get rid of the greens.... that a good start....
It's not the opposition's place to come up with policy. That is the government's job, the opposition then has to assess it and decide whether or not to support it. Good policy, like the structural reform and removal of protection back in the 1970s/80s, had bipartisan support because, well, it was good policy.

One final point, if Labor and the Greens were really as bad as you say, they would be voted out of the seats they do hold by the public. It is undemocratic to say that because you disagree with a certain party's ideas, they should be "wiped out", regardless of whether others in society support them or not. People are allowed to make their own decisions on what party they support, and this results in a better representation of everyone's views in the parliament. Your opinion is not superior to anyone else's.

Democracy is what keeps politicians honest and forces them to make good policy. If they don't they lose their seats.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
It's not the opposition's place to come up with policy. That is the government's job, the opposition then has to assess it and decide whether or not to support it. Good policy, like the structural reform and removal of protection back in the 1970s/80s, had bipartisan support because, well, it was good policy.

One final point, if Labor and the Greens were really as bad as you say, they would be voted out of the seats they do hold by the public. It is undemocratic to say that because you disagree with a certain party's ideas, they should be "wiped out", regardless of whether others in society support them or not. People are allowed to make their own decisions on what party they support, and this results in a better representation of everyone's views in the parliament. Your opinion is not superior to anyone else's.

Democracy is what keeps politicians honest and forces them to make good policy. If they don't they lose their seats.
I think the greens should be purely wiped out..... because of their comments..... "ISIS is not a terrorist group or whatever"..... that is just not on.... if there was an election.... they shouldn't receive any votes because of that.... and im surprised that a few people would vote for them...

There will be a time where there will be civil war in Australia..... :pain:

At least labor has become a bit sane..... and look though the point....

jdennis

HSC
I think the greens should be purely wiped out..... because of their comments..... "ISIS is not a terrorist group or whatever"..... that is just not on.... if there was an election.... they shouldn't receive any votes because of that.... and im surprised that a few people would vote for them...
Well that's my point really, if they say stupid shit like that hopefully no-one will vote for them. I certainly wouldn't, but I will defend their right to stand for election and to get in if they get the votes.

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
Dishonesty thy name is Liberal National Party. Tony Abbott is a man who lied his way into office. Tony Abbott said before the election there would be no cuts to pensions, no cuts to health and no cuts to education. Tony Abbott has broken his promises on each of these pledges.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Dishonesty thy name is Liberal National Party. Tony Abbott is a man who lied his way into office. Tony Abbott said before the election there would be no cuts to pensions, no cuts to health and no cuts to education. Tony Abbott has broken his promises on each of these pledges.
Yes I agree.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
>Liberal national party
>Tony Abbott

pick one

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
>Liberal national party
>Tony Abbott

pick one
Tony Abbott and the Liberal National Party go hand in hand you can't have one without the other. Tony Abbott ran a presidential campaign in 2013 claiming that he was the Mother Theresa of federal politics saying that he wouldn't break promises. What we get after the election is broken promise after broken promise. You should judge the Abbott government on what they do rather than what they say.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Australian voters are dumbasses

They don't look at the long term policies of countries when they vote..... And recognise that all parties have good and bad aspects to them.

When Kevin Rudd said he was gonna give out laptops ... People were like "yay, free laptop", without thinking of the cost.

Now with the libs trying to fix the budget "too many cuts", "what about us poor people" .

That right .... Australian voters are sheep who listen to all the media spin and rubbish.
The laptops weren't even that great, could barely do anything with them :/ I reckon if you're going to do something, you do it well and not half-heartedly, which is what the Labor govt seemed to do with the laptops.

That's a good idea, eliminate all political parties that disagree with you. That's really democratic. Shows what kind of society Coalition supporters want.
That's funny, because you Labor supporters want Abbott out of power EVEN THOUGH Australia voted him in. You don't even want to let him run his 3 year term. Kick the guy who was voted in. That's really democratic. Shows what kind of society Labor supporters want.

Don't come crying back if ISIS take over Australia... At least Tony is cracking down on them.... and i assume Labor won't even try to crack down, just to suck greens dicks
I'm pretty sure Shorten stands by Abbott's decision to send RAAF jets into Iraq and help deal with the ISIS threat over there (and he said this publicly too), so I don't see Labor not making a move on ISIS just because they want the Greens on their side.

jdennis

HSC
That's funny, because you Labor supporters want Abbott out of power EVEN THOUGH Australia voted him in. You don't even want to let him run his 3 year term. Kick the guy who was voted in. That's really democratic. Shows what kind of society Labor supporters want.
That is not what critics of Abbott are saying - generally, all we want is an election so the Australian people can elect a better Prime Minister. Most Australians, if you look at the polls, would vote Abbott out. How is this undemocratic?

This is very different to wanting to eliminate all political opposition simply because you disagree with them - even though, to make the same point you did, Australia voted in all the opposition members sitting in parliament! By your own logic, YOU are the ones being "undemocratic", not us!

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
That is not what critics of Abbott are saying - generally, all we want is an election so the Australian people can elect a better Prime Minister. Most Australians, if you look at the polls, would vote Abbott out. How is this undemocratic?

This is very different to wanting to eliminate all political opposition simply because you disagree with them - even though, to make the same point you did, Australia voted in all the opposition members sitting in parliament! By your own logic, YOU are the ones being "undemocratic", not us!
Yeah, and you get an election every 3 years to decide who gets to run the country until the next election. Just wait til the damn election comes around. That's the point I'm trying to make. If you want to make Australia vote for a new PM now (after just one year), make elections an annual thing to make it fair.

And honestly, I'm no fan of Abbott. But you Labor supporters just get on my nerves so much. When you don't get your way, you throw a hissy fit.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
If you want to make Australia vote for a new PM now (after just one year), make elections an annual thing to make it fair.
a GG can fire a PM when shit goes really wrong.

If labour tries to get abbott removed after first year it'd be political suicide. kinda like republicans did with clinton. Bad bad move that would set a very bad precedent. Also if you have elections every year... have fun trying to run a government when everyone's trying to campaign.

jdennis

HSC
Yeah, and you get an election every 3 years to decide who gets to run the country until the next election. Just wait til the damn election comes around. That's the point I'm trying to make. If you want to make Australia vote for a new PM now (after just one year), make elections an annual thing to make it fair.

And honestly, I'm no fan of Abbott. But you Labor supporters just get on my nerves so much. When you don't get your way, you throw a hissy fit.
I guess what people are annoyed about is that Abbott basically lied his way into power more than any other politician in the past. It sort of negates the whole idea of democracy when you've got a government going back on its promises and a senate controlled by a fat madman and a car enthusiast.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
I guess what people are annoyed about is that Abbott basically lied his way into power more than any other politician in the past. It sort of negates the whole idea of democracy when you've got a government going back on its promises and a senate controlled by a fat madman and a car enthusiast.
You do realize politicians lie all the time right? And people don't vote for tony abbott, they vote for local MPs who are certain party members that make parliament and the majority gets to have a PM.

jdennis

HSC
You do realize politicians lie all the time right? And people don't vote for tony abbott, they vote for local MPs who are certain party members that make parliament and the majority gets to have a PM.
*realise
Politicians don't lie that much all the time. Here are fifty such lies, all with sources and citations: http://www.independentaustralia.net...ises-reach-50-as-the-abc-joins-the-party,6731
Of course people vote for their own local members - but in the vast majority of cases, voters have in mind that the party they vote for is led by a particular individual, so who they would prefer as prime minister certainly affects who they vote for in their own electorate, not to mention the policies associated with that party.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The people complaining most about Abbott and his lies tend not to be the ones who voted for him/coalition MPs in the first place.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
a GG can fire a PM when shit goes really wrong.

If labour tries to get abbott removed after first year it'd be political suicide. kinda like republicans did with clinton. Bad bad move that would set a very bad precedent. Also if you have elections every year... have fun trying to run a government when everyone's trying to campaign.
Yeah, and it's a good thing there's a person who CAN fire a PM when things go wrong, but they fire on the basis that something large has gone wrong (e.g. a large corruption case). And as with your second paragraph, I completely agree. I wasn't actually suggesting that we make federal elections a yearly thing. I said it to show the flaw in chucking Abbott out of power after just 1 year.

*realise
Politicians don't lie that much all the time. Here are fifty such lies, all with sources and citations: http://www.independentaustralia.net...ises-reach-50-as-the-abc-joins-the-party,6731
Of course people vote for their own local members - but in the vast majority of cases, voters have in mind that the party they vote for is led by a particular individual, so who they would prefer as prime minister certainly affects who they vote for in their own electorate, not to mention the policies associated with that party.
Dude, please. It's politics. Lies are everywhere in politics. You pretty much don't get power unless you lie, which is probably why so many of the good politicians have little power. I'm sure if someone wanted to, they could compile a list of 50 lies from Labor for any given 1 year period.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Dude, please. It's politics. Lies are everywhere in politics. You pretty much don't get power unless you lie, which is probably why so many of the good politicians have little power. I'm sure if someone wanted to, they could compile a list of 50 lies from Labor for any given 1 year period.
You need to lie to get though life, unfortunately.... regardless if your in politics or not.... i guess people should try to not expose lies out... since everybody lied in some stage

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll be happy to see one if you've got it? If not, well...
Mate, you do Physics. What'd you learn from the whole aether (ether) thingy that scientists thought? "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence". You really think I'm going to spend all that time proving something that should be pretty common knowledge?

You need to lie to get though life, unfortunately.... regardless if your in politics or not.... i guess people should try to not expose lies out... since everybody lied in some stage
I disagree completely. You don't need to lie to get through life. Everyone lies, yes, but not to get through life. And people need to ALWAYS be trying to expose lies (assuming this is at a professional level, what people do in their private life is totally up to them). Imagine if companies lied to banks and said they are capable of taking a $100,000 loan when they're not actually capable of doing so. They won't be able to pay the money back, and then you get problems. How about if you, as an engineer, said that a certain building has been checked for safety and it's 100% safe, when you haven't checked it at all. Lives can be lost. Or if you're a scientist, and you say that Ebola has no cure even though you know it is possible to cure it. Panic ensues. These are obviously exaggerated lies, but I used them to try and get my point across. People need to be exposing lies as much as they can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)