• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Can mods look in other members usercp? (2 Viewers)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
What do you mean?

We can't see the reputation comments, or your Private Messages if that's what you mean.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I read once that admins have access to our PM's...I dont know anything else about this though and I dont really care either lol

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
really? they can read our pms? could u get banned if u had a real bad thing happening thru pms?

lol pms looks like P M S.

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Without Wings said:
pms are part of bos and you can get reprimanded for the content of them.
some days i an get a few pm's. eg the day i lost my rep i got alot. are they all moderated? cos i thought they were called PRIVATE messages. hence the P. otherwise its basically just another thread?

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
and would they look at it for no particular reason? under what circumstances would they look at them?

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
Without Wings said:
they are private messages, they are nothing like a thread as other members can't see them, dont worry about ppl looking at them becca. i'm just saying, that say if XXX complains that you abused them in PM and fwd's the pm onto a mod, or admin you can be reprimanded for its content
ohh ok. yeh i hav 4warded msgs b4. they rnt screened at all 4 nething els?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Moderators can view your User CP. They can edit your signature (this happens when it is excessively large, inappropriate etc) and in some cases your avatar/custom title. Super Mods can view and edit your reputation. Admins have god-powers, don't mess with them.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
my sig is ok right?? plz dont edit mine... :(
As long as your signature isn't offensive or really big, it's safe. But I tend to get complaints about signatures that take up more space than a standard post...so yeah, don't go sticking any more quotes on the end. :p

Don't worry though, we don't just delete everything like we used to. I do things in a way that the signature is just hidden until you get around to making it smaller (and there are many ways of doing this without losing content).

J

jhakka

What the members do outside of BOS should be their own business. I think one of the main reasons rep swapping is a pain is because of all the extra posts on the forums with people saying "Rep me!"

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
How do you bust members for rep trading then?

I strongly doubt members would PM moderators writing:

"hello. I gave this guy rep. He gave me rep. Then I went on a rep-fest to 'spread some reputation around' and then gave the guy some more rep. Please deduct 300 rep points from both our accounts because we broke regulations and deserve to be reprimanded."

So much easier to peek at rep comments, spot a "thanks for the rep", "returning/reciprocating a favour", then do what must be done.
you might notice xayma said "we" as in the mods...supermods and admins on the other hand....

picking up rep trading on the boards is as easy as using a simple search string

re PM's. I highly doubt that PM's are screened (cause it would be WAY too time consuming though a lot of members seem to under the impression that mods etc dont have lives) but I would assume that they are like emails on an intranet (like in a business or school) ie they are not private as such as you are using someone elses system to send and receive them and they are susceptable to screening if the situation calls for it.

That said, dont be so paranoid. I mean, why would we unless the situation called for it!
lol

fatmuscle

HSC
we (admins) can read ur PM's but you'll know. besides, it's highly unethical, and as snappy said, time consuming.
the closest we get to ur PM's is just seeing how many u have in your inbox. (Not the content)

sunny

meh.
HSC
Komaticom said:
I'm not paranoid, just confused at how super/mods and admins bust people for rep begging if you can't see rep messages or don't usually check PMs.
I hardly get PMs, so there's no need for me to get paranoid.

People must be really desperate to demand rep on BOS via MSN or handing out leaflets in the street...
Because people openly ask for it in threads, posts, and signatures.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
I'm not paranoid, just confused at how super/mods and admins bust people for rep begging if you can't see rep messages or don't usually check PMs.
I hardly get PMs, so there's no need for me to get paranoid.

People must be really desperate to demand rep on BOS via MSN or handing out leaflets in the street...
as I said (and as sunny said), its easy to work out.

do a search for "rep begging" and see what it brings up!

sorry if the paranoid thing was a bit much...wasnt meant to sound bad

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
nah i dont its all cool u can check my pms if u want its all clean
i was just wondering what powers the mods have
like PMs are called "private" messages

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)