can MP be refered to as non./discretionary? (1 Viewer)

coroneos

Like is it incorrect to say that MP is a discretionary or non-discretionary action by the RBA/Govt.

I know that you can use (non)or discretionary to describe FP, but what about MP?

is a roflcopter
HSC
erm.......i think its discretionary.........well its an optimistic assumption that the RBA is still in control of rates :D

coroneos

Originally posted by Newbie
erm.......i think its discretionary.........well its an optimistic assumption that the RBA is still in control of rates :D
Are you sure it can be classified as discretionary? Can't we only refer to something as being non-discretionary or discretionary when we are describing the cyclical/structural components of the federal budget??

timmii

sporadic attendee
monetary policy is discretionary in that the RBA does determine what the i.r's will be. I suppose if u wanted to be all philosophical about it, u could say that interest rates that actual prevail in the market can be non-discretionary depending on bond yields etc...but thats not monetary policy per se...

So yeah, u would never have to refer to MP being discretionary/non-discretionary. The reason u have the distinction with fiscal policy is that some components of the budget result from what the government *chooses* to do in pursuing its own political/social/economic agenda, and some (e.g automatic stabilisers) come about as a result of economic conditions, that the government has not actually made a conscious decision to modify/alter revenue/spending there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)