Can perfumes go off? (1 Viewer)

konstantine'

HSC
I have this bottle of Britney Spears Curious fragrance and it's kind of ... turned yellow LOL. I was wondering if perfumes can go off or something cause it's starting to smell like shit. I've had it for about a year.

sally_33

HSC
yeah perfumes do go off but they should last longer than a year...

how long have you had it?

konstantine'

HSC
sally_33 said:
yeah perfumes do go off but they should last longer than a year...

how long have you had it?
I got it last year for my bday so yeah its been about a year. I've also got a Davidoff echo one and its on the same shelf as the curious bottle but it's still fine (@.@). It looks really gross; I mean yellow man EUGH.

konstantine'

HSC
Oh really I didn't know that :S. Are they supposed to stink after they turn yellow ...

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah i heard it can go off...i use to keep mine in the fridge, i imagine that helped a bit...too bad abt your perfume though!

konstantine'

HSC
inasero said:
yeah i heard it can go off...i use to keep mine in the fridge, i imagine that helped a bit...too bad abt your perfume though!
ah well, at least i know it's not fungi growing or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

**blu_rose**

HSC
yeah i have a similar prob. i have an elizabeth arden 5th avenue perfume and i've had it for about 2 years and its starting to get this really strong weird unpleasant smell. and the thing is the sun hits my perfumes directly all day, but my other perfumes are fine. so i dunno, i used to think perfumes last really really long.

sally_33

HSC
konstantine' said:
I got it last year for my bday so yeah its been about a year. I've also got a Davidoff echo one and its on the same shelf as the curious bottle but it's still fine (@.@). It looks really gross; I mean yellow man EUGH.
woops sorry i meant to say 'where did you get it' not how long had you had it

anyway yeah i remember reading something on the vogue forums about this i'll see if I can find it

found! here it is: link

:)

Skeeta

HSC
I have had EXACTLY the same problem, with the EXACT same perfume.. It started smelling like vinegar.

Its a shit perfume. I had about half a bottle left and i had to chuck it out.

konstantine'

HSC
Skeeta said:
I have had EXACTLY the same problem, with the EXACT same perfume.. It started smelling like vinegar.

Its a shit perfume. I had about half a bottle left and i had to chuck it out.
Yeah I've still got like 3/4 of a bottle lol.

Thanks for the link sally. The fragrance came with a Britney Spears Curious gift pack and I'm assuming my friends bought it from either DJs or Myer, not too sure.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i thought perfumes lasted almost forever, what a waste if they don't last a long time

konstantine'

HSC
I've just been reading forums on vogue and apparently a lot of Britney Spears Curious 100ml ones go off. Some of them have like algae growing EW. I wanna try to get an exchange through Myer if I can or else I'll have to contact Elizabeth Arden. Here's a picture, not mine though but looks the same. Warning; PRETTY GROTTY.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/katisha_meow/ew.jpg

HSC
N/A
From what I've heard, most perfumes will start going acidic after 1 1/2 - 2 years. This is true for all the perfumes I've ever had. So technically, they do "last", but the smell deteriorates :(

Incentive to buy the smaller bottles, I guess...

NB: Always a good idea to keep perfumes out of the sunlight. :) I guess some perfumes are more susceptible to heat than others, but we may as well get into good habits, yes?

konstantine'

HSC
Bigger bottles are economical though lol. I think good perfumes should last minimum two years cause some people have a number of bottles to mix and yeah well might take a while to use it up. My room becomes an oven in summer so that sucks (@.@)

HSC
N/A
konstantine' said:
I've just been reading forums on vogue and apparently a lot of Britney Spears Curious 100ml ones go off. Some of them have like algae growing EW. I wanna try to get an exchange through Myer if I can or else I'll have to contact Elizabeth Arden. Here's a picture, not mine though but looks the same. Warning; PRETTY GROTTY.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/katisha_meow/ew.jpg
Ewwww that does look awful

I agree, bigger bottles are more economical but alas, I can never get through it all before it starts going off :( So smaller bottles for me it is...

karoooh

HSC
No!

They can't go off! Damn! :(

I've got 2 bottles of J'adore, one with 2/3 left! I have two, cos my sister and I got greedy and so we bought the 2nd, 100 mL one, 1 week after we got the 50 mL. :eek:

konstantine'

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Ewwww that does look awful
Some poor souls' have like mould growing and others have solidified to like crystal jelly LOL disgusting.

karoooh said:
No!

They can't go off! Damn! :(
I don't think all perfumes go bad after a year. My Davidoff one is still fine and smelling yummy :).

HSC
It pains me to buy the smaller bottle when it's so much cheaper to stock up but Im starting to accumulate all these 100mL perfumes that I get sick of after not even 3/4 way through lol. I've had Curious for about 9 months and never used it so im thinking I should before it carks it like that bottle in the pic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)