• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can perfumes go off? (1 Viewer)

konstantine'

HSC
well milk it for all its worth now and when it turns off, go exchange for a new fragrance! :)

~eZZa~

HSC
Thats crazy...my sister has the exact same perfume and has had it for about a year, and the same thing has happened. It started turning yellow, n started to smell heaps bad. I thought it was just hers.....

HSC
N/A
Such a shame :( Estee Lauder has a good reputation, but they obviously screwed up with ingredients this time around :(

konstantine'

HSC
i went myer yesterday to exchange it but the lady said something about it has been fixed so i cant exchange which made NO SENSE at all. i should have shoved the bottle in her face and let her see for herself. guess i have to contact arden itself now.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Oh no wonder Myer was selling Curious for cheap.

And suddenly all those cheapo perfume departments that popped up overnight all make sense.

HSC
Because perfumes go off with heat, ideally you're actually meant to keep perfumes in the fridge, as strange as that sounds (learnt that because i'm one of those perfume ladies).
Also don't keep your fragrances any where condensation can occur in the bottle (for example in the bathroom) because this will make it go off too.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
dude yes, that is completely whack!

we still have my mums old dior poison not to mention or arden (i think) and her other dior and shes actually had them for yonks.. before i was born? so longer for 18 years.

maybe these days, perfumes just arent made the way they used to eh?
and another, you shouldn't store ur perfumes in ur room particularly in sunlight - store them in the bathroom in like the cupboard or s'thing?

Cheshire Cat

HSC
Yes, they can in fact go off. Keeping them someplace cold (the refrigerator, an air-conditioned room, etc.) should help it, but other than that I don't know what to tell you.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
We have had POEM for about 8-9 years and it is a tiny bit left and it still smells great!

Ingoesout

HSC
N/A
Hahah oh damn, now i know why all those chemist perfumes ar so damn cheap!
I bought one of my best friends 5th Avenue for chrissy and my neighbour Curious for her birthday. Damn, my cheapness will be revealed! But they weren't even that cheap. Oh hell.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Ew, please throw out that Curious.

I've had Jadore for ages and it's still great.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Back in Year 9, I got cKone as a present, and a few months later it started smelling funny :( Same thing happened with Tommy Freedom and EA Green Tea... all three are still sitting half-full on my shelf!

I also got Emporio Armani around the same time as CK and nothing ever happened with that!! It lasted four years! And all my other perfumes haven't gone off... hmmmm

pink668

HSC
hey, i want to ask a q? you know all those cheap perfume stores out there right now, seems to be pooping up everywhere.... how do they get their perfumes so cheap? are they fake? cos i remember hearing somewhere on the telly that many of these perfumes are fakes and tend to go off... for e.g. some perfumes have goat urine added to it, methylated spirit....
the only safeguard is getting it at myers or DJs... perhaps, the perfumes you guys purchased may have been a fake. my mum has got perfume that has lasted well over 18 years and still smells pretty good... hmmm, i went shopping at myers last week and saw the britney perfumes for half price at 50ish... it is perhaps not a wise idea to buy...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
That's what I'm saying, they're probably close to use-by date

e.g. they have 6-8 months to go.

Oh and thanks to this thread, I wear perfume everytime I go out to see people.

Which is great because now the smell is linked to good sociable memories = automatic good mood

Last edited:

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
Perfume bottles for me never last longer than 10-12 months, because I wear perfume every day.
I bought this Oscar De La Renta perfume in this enormous bottle (like the size of a mt franklin) and used it up in 6 months.

Although now that I think about it, I threw out my Estee Lauder Pleasures because it started smelling weird, so maybe EL just sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)