• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can someone attempt to explain how internal marks affect our HSC marks? Please! (1 Viewer)

13abie

HSC
Okay so my understanding was that it is done on a bell curve, or in standard deviations.

So essentially the person coming first internally recieves the highest external mark, and the same for the person coming last (recieving worst external mark) and then everyone inbetween gets a mark corresponding to their position on the bell curve, meaning that both internal rank and assessment mark are factored in to a varying degree.

That being said I am JUST coming 2nd, in modern history, but the person coming 1st is going to achieve a external state ranking (he is a genius, and the only reason he is coming first by so little is that he glandular fever during an assesment). Now his external mark will be much higher than mine, lets say 99, and say the second highest mark in our cohort is 95. Because I am coming 2nd, will I get an internal mark of around 94?, or will it be evened out to around 97.
School rank is 7th, if that is a factor.

Thanks very much for your help.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Will this later on help you get a higher mark by any chance? I think not.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Also with your example, the person coming first, will keep their external mark, in this case 99, and his external and internal mark will both be 99, being 99 overall

for you, if you're second, and you externally get 95, and that is the second highest external mark, you keep that mark, as both internal and external, with the final mark for you being 95

IF the person ranked third gets 97 and you get 95, you will get the assessment mark of 97, keep your own exam mark of 95, with a final mark being averaged out to 96.

Going to a higher ranked school just means that you're more likely to do better in the external exams and end up with higher marks, therefore a higher atar.

This is HSC in a nut shell, hope I helped?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Also with your example, the person coming first, will keep their external mark, in this case 99, and his external and internal mark will both be 99, being 99 overall

for you, if you're second, and you externally get 95, and that is the second highest external mark, you keep that mark, as both internal and external, with the final mark for you being 95

IF the person ranked third gets 97 and you get 95, you will get the assessment mark of 97, keep your own exam mark of 95, with a final mark being averaged out to 96.

Going to a higher ranked school just means that you're more likely to do better in the external exams and end up with higher marks, therefore a higher atar.

This is HSC in a nut shell, hope I helped?
For moderating a class to the highest exam mark, they use a graph and they plot them based on how far they are apart internally. It's not 'ok the second highest external is 94 so lets use that'.

13abie

HSC
For moderating a class to the highest exam mark, they use a graph and they plot them based on how far they are apart internally. It's not 'ok the second highest external is 94 so lets use that'.
Could you go into a bit more depth?
That seems like a better answer, because we had two 97s externally for IPT, and nobody got 97 for an internal mark, even the person that came 1st

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Okay...

Suppose an HSC class consisting of... Dan, Larissa and Aaron (anyone who gets the reference wins) gets these marks in a subject:

Larissa - 90
Dan - 80
Aaron - 70

These are the raw school assessment marks the school send in to the BOS

But in the HSC exam, their performance is as follows - after aligning to Board standards:

Dan - 98
Larissa - 96
Aaron - 80

These are the aligned HSC 'exam' marks

The Board then say, "Okay, the top HSC mark in that class is 98. Larissa is ranked first, she will get that mark as her 'moderated school assessment mark'"

Essentially, they say that a 90 in the school is 'worth' 98 HSC marks because the top mark in the school should equal the top mark in the external exam for comparison purposes - now that is a very general thing I just said so the system can be understood better. The Board does NOT actually do that, it's just an analogy for the moderation.

Larissa gets 98 as her moderated school mark, and 96 as her HSC exam mark - her final mark is the average of those two: 97.

Dan has a school mark 8/9ths of Larissa's, so (now this is just conjecture and a guess of how they use this 'graph' to determine moderated marks) naturally perhaps - his moderated school mark will be around 87 (for the purposes of this example and perhaps my very wrong venture into moderation - don't take this literally, but take it with a grain of salt as this is an example of how they they actually do it). But Dan got 98 as his own HSC exam mark, so his final HSC mark is: 93.

Aaron, similarly, will have his moderated school mark around 76 and his own HSC mark was 80 so his final HSC mark is 78.

Questions? Remarks?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
so I assume you've done a PhD in this then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)