• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can someone explain to me why school rank is important? (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
hey were overall ranks so at the end including everything that was my rank and the mark was 81. avg of 80 and 82

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
hey were overall ranks so at the end including everything that was my rank and the mark was 81. avg of 80 and 82
Ah right, so 82 was your exam mark. Wow, that's pretty good... rank 51/58 in a school that's rank 260ish and you get 81, I would have expected much lower. Well done champ.

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Thankyou,

Also when applying for your uni courses put whatever you want, don't think damn ill never get the ATAR or im 6 points off the cut off.

My ATAR was 84.15 and the cut off for medicinal chem with hons at UNSW was 91.xx and I got accepted so yeah, ATAR cut offs are a bit BS

also umm, my friend from school got 62ATAR and the cut of for medical nanotechnology at UWS was 80 something and hes in it.

gevans

HSC
N/A
yes - school rank has nothing to do with exam achievement - it is a measure after the event and it is crap any way as it is an average of the student performance not the school.

thuanvon

HSC
school rankings are important because in all the assessments given there could be possilbe bias marking

the strong factor that best correlates to your atar is the HSC since its the same exam for everyone in the state

just do well in both school and the final exam

gevans

HSC
N/A
your rank in each subject determines how many assessment marks you receive. If 10 students earn 800 marks the top students assessment sent in by the school will be changed to match the top exam mark and the bottom also adjusted up or down and the marks spread proportionately across the rest. If group does better overall than ass sent in as a group then most will have a small increase in ass mark compared to one sent in but there is not necessarily a relationship between the assessment (RAW) sent in and the ass you receive as they are adjusted to reflect exam performance across state ( you may get 90 at school but only 60 in HSC as your teacher may have marked easy during the year)

gravox the wise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)