Can someone give me motivation to get through English Advanced? (1 Viewer)

Salsta

HSC
Doing HSC this year and I do enjoy all my subjects, except... ENGLISH. I absolutely hate it. It really sucks the soul out of me. I don't find it interesting. I don't think it's useful for my life. And I'm forced to do it. So for those who like english or are actually motivated to do well in English, what makes you motivated. What are some reasons to actually put effort into english? What makes english enjoyable to you? but yeah i really hate english. The only thing that makes me put an ounce of effort into that subject is to get a decent ATAR. But seriously, english sucks.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Yeah so for english wat u need is a deep understanding of your texts and motivation to be drafting responses, this is the best way to practice english and understanding the interrelatedness between ideas explored. sounds cringe but for the common module i started to really understand its relevance in the actual world, and how this was explored in my prescribed text, 1984. Try having more conversations with your teacher about the themes of the text and learn how its reflected in todays society bc in english you need to develop your personal response/insights. I would suggest reading opinion articles/ critical essays to help you understand other peoples perspectives through which you can shape your own. This way every sentence you write builds onto your argument/ is meaningful as you tie in different elements (e.g form of the text, different types of context, relevance today) to create a nuanced response that engages with the text as a whole and not just a surface level thing.

I think what i used to hate abt english the most is the essay writing part because there was just so many things and i didn't know how to incorporate them all into one response. For this, the best way to improve is to just write more and breakdown essay questions with a plan for how you would answer the question. also THE RUBRIC is everything u need.

Hopefully this makes sense bc i just dumped what came into my mind and im too lazy to read it over again tbh lol/

chaevely_park

HSC
English is what will make or break your ATAR, and also, your chance to get into your dream course. Suffering in English <<< Rejection from dream course

Jos:)

HSC
maybe sumn to consider is that most if not all selective school students must do eng advanced -- some of us are not very good at it but I think it's important to let go of the limiting belief that you "aren't good at english" bc it only limits your ability to actually improve. fr sumn I had to do when I transferred. I also think becoming more engaged in the context is good. if you have a particular interest it will always help. for me, it is theology. most shakespearean texts involve theological elements n bc it is a sophisticated and contextual idea, it generally scored well when I referenced it. I was both interested in the text bc of that and also did well as a result.

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Doing HSC this year and I do enjoy all my subjects, except... ENGLISH. I absolutely hate it. It really sucks the soul out of me. I don't find it interesting. I don't think it's useful for my life. And I'm forced to do it. So for those who like english or are actually motivated to do well in English, what makes you motivated. What are some reasons to actually put effort into english? What makes english enjoyable to you? but yeah i really hate english. The only thing that makes me put an ounce of effort into that subject is to get a decent ATAR. But seriously, english sucks.
i mean, you're not the only one. most people who do english hate it.

but as someone who loves english, i love to read and write in my spare time, they've both been my hobbies since i was a kid and i devote time each week to read a book i like or to write a small piece of writing. what motivates me in english is that it helps me with my hobbies and in turn my hobbies help me with english. you could always get yourself motivated by reading books yourself, if you wanted to - it helps with extending your vocabulary and your ideas for english. but if you don't like reading or writing for fun and you're not willing to get into it, that's probably out of the window, so you need to accept the fact that you're stuck with english for the rest of this year and suck it up. your english might make or break your atar goals if you don't devote time or an ounce of motivation into it - and once the first two days of the hsc are over you never need to talk about the human experience or how texts can be in conversation to one another.

whenever i start a new text for a new module i think that it's not going to be interesting, and that the text is pretty boring. but then when i do my own research into the text and expand upon what's being taught in class on my own, it helps me develop my own ideas about my text, which in turn makes looking at the text through the lens of the human experience easier and much more fun. for example, i honestly thought it was really interesting to look beyond a certain year 11 set of texts i was doing and exploring new ideas of what the text could be about, like how it was reflecting certain philosophical ideas. try to look at your texts through your own personal lens to help develop your own ideas and not just trying to regurgitate whatever your teacher or sparknotes are saying, it makes english 100x better.

for me, it is theology. most shakespearean texts involve theological elements n bc it is a sophisticated and contextual idea, it generally scored well when I referenced it. I was both interested in the text bc of that and also did well as a result.
definitely, philosophy and theology are my personal secret weapons for most of the texts i analyse, they provide new insights to the text rather than the boring generic surface-level ideas everyone uses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)