Can someone give me some feedback/suggestions on my story? (1 Viewer)

MsSalSa

HSC
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of planning my creative piece for belonging, and I have come up with a solid idea.
I have written the beginning of my story and planned out where I want the story to go, but I am stuck in the middle.
I can't think of a good complication for my story, although I (may have) jumped straight into the complication.
I guess basically I can't think of a series of events.

Anyone who private messages me their email, I will send you everything I've written.
But for the this thread, I'm going to write a basic outline.

It's about a character named John who moved from a rural town to a big city in search for work. Because he is a very quiet and reserved person, he is finding it hard to feel comfortable in such a busy environment. And he misses all the old senses from his hometown like fresh air and the quietness. He is daunted by the tasks he would face in the next few days (finding somewhere to stay, finding a job or at least some sort of income to live on, and overall finding out how he can find comfort in the city).

The beginning of my story is basically just developing this setting and theme.
Now I am having trouble coming up with a complication and series of events.
I have already made a plan for my resolution.

Resolution plan:
I want the story to end in a way that talks about John realising that he likes the anonymity of the city; how by there being so many people in the one place, it makes it hard to be noticed. In contrast to living in a small town with a small population, it is much easier to be noticed as there are fewer people.
And I want to find a way to enhance his ‘realisation’ that he actually prefers Sydney.

If you think that's a bad idea then please suggest what you think may be better :)

So can anyone make a suggestion as to how to do my complication and series of events? (It could tie in with the theme of looking for work)

UCC

HSC
Maybe he could be diagnosed with some sort of internal disease (sounds really morbid, sorry aha) like a cancer or mental condition, nothing hugely drastic or life-threatening, just something that would make him different and scrutinized in his old town. Through the anonymity of the city he could feel normal in a crowd, unlike how he would feel at home.

I just went with the first thing that popped into my head, sorry! But yeah, if I get any better ideas I'll post again :) good luck!

unLimitieDx

HSC
Is your story in 1st 2nd or 3rd person?
I would personally start your story with the character already in the 'city' where possibly during work he would reminisce about his old country town.

MsSalSa

HSC
Through the anonymity of the city he could feel normal in a crowd, unlike how he would feel at home.
Thank you for this idea! It would make it much easier to emphasize that aspect of the story, rather than just to say "hes a reserved guy and didn't like to be noticed". Thanks! :)

MsSalSa

HSC
Is your story in 1st 2nd or 3rd person?
I would personally start your story with the character already in the 'city' where possibly during work he would reminisce about his old country town.
It's in third person because I feel like I can easily be more descriptive and express emotions. Thankyou for your suggestion :) I kind of start it just as he arrived in the city, but I'll see if I can improve it by making it start while hes working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)