Can someone guide me in subject selection please... (1 Viewer)

Legend-X

HSC
My first post by the way.
I joined in this community because I really need some advice and help from you guys!
I just moved into Australia (5 months) and I'm currently going to high school, Year 10.
I'm interested in sound engineering and composing, so I want to take Music I and ITE, but I actually have no idea what I need to study to take that course in University, or what I need to prepare for, OR what tests and requirements I must go through, and etc.
I am thinking the requirements and stuff will be different from uni to uni, so if you could give me the highest or most general requirement that would be really nice.
I tried finding some info on the web, but since I'm new here and all the systems are very different, I'm having hard time even thinking about my future.

If some of you guys can help me, it will be REALLY really appreciated !

p.s
Some guys are saying you don't need to worry about uni stuff right now.. but I think its far better to prepare when we are choosing subjects. What is your opinion about this?

-tal-

HSC
Legend-X said:
My first post by the way.
I joined in this community because I really need some advice and help from you guys!
I just moved into Australia (5 months) and I'm currently going to high school, Year 10.
I'm interested in sound engineering and composing, so I want to take Music I and ITE, but I actually have no idea what I need to study to take that course in University, or what I need to prepare for, OR what tests and requirements I must go through, and etc.
I am thinking the requirements and stuff will be different from uni to uni, so if you could give me the highest or most general requirement that would be really nice.
I tried finding some info on the web, but since I'm new here and all the systems are very different, I'm having hard time even thinking about my future.

If some of you guys can help me, it will be REALLY really appreciated !

p.s
Some guys are saying you don't need to worry about uni stuff right now.. but I think its far better to prepare when we are choosing subjects. What is your opinion about this?
Honestly, you don't need to worry too much about uni while you're picking subjects. Sure by all means, pick up the ext 2 maths, chem, physics... they're the ones you'll come across in the science course @ uni.

Since you want to do sound enginerring and composing? Sounds a bit like a music school/course you intend to go to. Anyhow, I'd recommend you take up Music I at school. And definitely, pick everything that suits your strengths. Or, the subjects you have a genuine interest in. Being interested in a subject makes it a lot easier to work for.

And since your English writing skills seem good, I'd recommend English Advanced.

Most universities don't have too many requirements nowadays, mainly just a good enough UAI and the appropriate paperwork. I'm gathering you're not an Australian citizen, so things such as HECS shouldn't be applied for etc etc. Oh, and DFEE is not available after 2009 etc etc.

If you're currently enrolled at a public high school, talk to your careers advisor. They know a lot of things about this sort of information.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you would need Physics for Sound Engineering since Physics is like a must for almost all engineering courses.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
If you are interested in sound engineering and music, you should really get as practical work experience in the field now. Uni means absolutely nothing in this area. Work is much harder to find in recent years because of the explosion of technological advances in home recording that will produce pro-quality work. Have a look at what NIN has been doing in recent years, releasing the occasional song with all individual tracks on very accessible programs like Garageband and ProTools.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
You should talk to your careers advisor at school to see what s/he recommends! But tal's advices is heaps good.

Welcome to BoS too! :)

Legend-X

HSC
Wow thanks for all the input guys, it really cleared my head a lot.
Thanks!

HSC
a lot of universities that use music as a prerequisite require music 2, not music 1, from memory.

i would definitely look into entertainment as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)