Can someone please explain 'ranking' to me. (1 Viewer)

louise08

HSC
I'm in year 11...

Is it just important so you stay on track and make sure your going better than the majority of the people in your year?
Or does the HSC or UAI actually take your rank into consideration?
Thank you

runnable

HSC
Rank is ESSENTIAL for your internal HSC.

And always remember, the UAI is a rank anyway. So getting 99% means nothing if EVERYONE else got 100%. You prob will get <30 UAI in this case (however unlikely lol).

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
me121 said:
just to clarify.. your preliminary marks don't directly affect your hsc marks or uai.
my maths teacher said that maths is the only subject in Year 11 that does affect it. is that true?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
nerdsforever said:
my maths teacher said that maths is the only subject in Year 11 that does affect it. is that true?
oh yeah i forgot about that. in the current maths syllabus, the school MAY CHOOSE to include year 11 marks in your internal assessment mark for the HSC, for ext 1 maths ONLY. but if they do this they can only hold the assessments after your other hsc subject assessments has started. very rare.

ACE Manual BOS pg 106 said:
With the exception of the General Mathematics, Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1 courses, internal assessment of a course for the Higher School Certificate is to be conducted in relation to the HSC course only. For the General Mathematics course no more than 30 percent, and for the Mathematics course no more than 20 percent, of the assessment is to be based on the Preliminary course. Assessment for Mathematics Extension 1 can be based on the whole of the Extension 1 course (Preliminary and HSC).
ACE Manual BOS pg 110 said:
With the exception of Mathematics Extension 1, assessments for the HSC course
must not commence until after the completion of the Preliminary course. Students
who have been allowed to enter the HSC course on probation will need to complete outstanding Preliminary assessment tasks concurrently with HSC assessment tasks. Assessment for the Mathematics Extension 1 HSC course can be based on the whole of Mathematics Extension 1 (both Preliminary and HSC courses). However, assessment for Mathematics Extension 1 should not begin until the school program of HSC assessments for other subjects begins (this is usually no earlier than Term 4 of Year 11).

Last edited:

Major Mathers

HSC
Your rank is very important in the internal assessments.

If you get 1st in the internal, you get the mark of the person who got the highest mark in the HSC exams in your school.

If you get last, you get the worst HSC Exam mark in your school.

This is compared with what you got in the HSC exams and from that they get your marks.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Major Mathers said:
If you get last, you get the worst HSC Exam mark in your school.
I think this is wrong. It may just happen as a coincidence but in general it won't. From what I have read that align the max mark and mean. (but i'm a bit confused because they also said where possible they align the min mark, but you can't do all these three things at once!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)