Can someone read over my Antony and Cleo Speech??? (1 Viewer)

Benmc

HSC
Hello

I need someone to read over this and tell me what they think.
I gave it to the teacher but he didn't really comment on it much apart from saying use more examples.

It is a speech on Antony and Cleopatra and is meant to 15% of the weighting.

THe actual task is: You are a speaker at an academic sympsium entitled, Powerplay. You are presenting a speech to be delived to an audience which will include current HSC teachers and students.

The focus of your speech is to be the representations of the different aspects of powerplay in Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra.

Below is what i have written for it.

Good Morning HSC teachers and students.

Shakespeare’s play ‘Antony and Cleopatra’ written in 1906 is a classic representation of the theme and ideology of powerplay. Powerplay is demonstrated as a conflict between moral honour and cruel expediency. Power is manifested in many forms throughout Antony and Cleopatra. Political power, sexual power, gender power, physiological power, military power, personal power, manipulative power, the power of fate, and the struggle to gain and maintain power are all examples of powerplay evident in Antony and Cleopatra. Today however, I will be focusing my analysis on three primary expressions of powerplay. Sexual and gender power, political power and personal power.

Political powerplay is symbolized by the interaction of the three triumviri’s, the marriage allegiance between Antony and Cleopatra and the representations of military and diplomatic power throughout the play. Shakespeare uses imagery to describe the political climate of Rome and Egypt. Rome is described as “wide arch” and “triple pillar” which emphasises the structure and discipline of Rome whilst Egypt is depicted as a place of languid ambience. Eg. "Melt", "Soft Hours" and "o'erflows”. This contrasts the political nature and power of the two civilizations. On a character level, Antony is represented as a fallen warrior who has breeched his duties to the Roman Empire through his infatuation of Cleopatra’s sexual lust. However he is still presented as the “triple pillar of the world” when he is true to himself. Antony exhibits his political power over Caesar and Lepidus through his commandeering of their minds. Lepidus extreme admiration of Antony “Here comes the noble Antony” (insert quote) illustrates Antony’s power over Lepidus through his reputation as a God like figure. Caesar is characterised as in search of supreme power, authoritative and logical, but nevertheless he himself is submissive to the traits of Antony. This is represented by Caesar’s submission to be seated before Antony. The politics and power of the triumvirate over Pompey is again realised diplomatically through negotiation. “And what may follow to try a larger fortune”. Political powerplay is further manifested through the Marriage allegiance between Octavia and Antony. Caesar in arranging the marriage between his sister and Antony is hoping to manipulate his fortunes, by trusting that Anthony will succumb to the sexual powerplays of Cleopatra and in the end, prove to be faithless to the marriage, which will provide an excuse for Caesar to eliminate Antony.” This is another political powerplay set up by the Machiavellian Caesar as he is using the marriage alliance as a pretext to gain power, which he ultimately achieves, because of his rationality and logic.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Sexual and gender powerplay is represented by Shakespeare as the passionate relationship between Antony and Cleopatra. It is portrayed as an affair undermined by the emotional manipulation and abuse of Antony by Cleopatra a female, through her sexual lust and charms. Cleopatra’s is characterised as a “whore” and “gypsy” whose appeal to men is such that it is almost ‘witchcraft’ like. The sexual powerplay Cleopatra has exerted over Antony is to all but ultimately emasculate him. Cleopatra is conscious of her seduction of Antony and vulgarly proclaims it to her court. “
"I drunk him to bed; Then put my tires and mantles on him, whilst I wore his sword Phillipan”. The sword itself, is a symbol of Antony’s very manhood, masculinity and military prowess. Cleopatra’s actions are paradoxical. On one hand she want’s Antony under her total command and authority and ironically she exposes her true love and admiration Antony through her soliloquy. “His legs bestrid the ocean” “In his livery walked crowns and crownets”. Antony recognises Cleopatra’s complete control of him, however his passion and naivety leads to his eventual downfall. “O thou vile lady! She has robbed me of my sword,”. “He hath given his empire up to a whore”. It can be argued that Antony’s transgression into an emotion and irrational apparition from a rational perspective has lead to his fall from power.

Personal powerplay is constructed in the form of the personal rivalry between Antony and Caesar and the suicide of Antony and Cleopatra. The conflict between the two men is exemplified by the stage directions. Antony enters separately to Caesar on opposite sides of the stage. This tension is settled by Lepidus who states “Noble friends: That which combined us was most great, and let not a leaner action rend us.”. This highlights the personal relationships and powerplay within the triumvirate. Lepidus is the subordinate to both Caesar and Antony, whilst Caesar and Antony are in a personal struggle to gain and uphold power over the other. This personal powerplay is further emphasised when Caesar chides Antony “dares me to personal combat”, highlight the intriguing struggle for power between the two men. Personal powerplay is further manifested when Antony and Cleopatra commit suicide to preserve their honour as noble characters in history. “Got upon me A nobleness in record”. By Cleopatra committing suicide she is ultimately commanding power over Caesar by denying him the right to parade her as a war trophy. “She do defeat us; for her life in Rome Would be eternal in our triumph”.

Therefore fellow students and teachers, powerplay has been manifested and illustrated into many forms within Shakespeare’s Antony and Cleopatra. Powerplay resides on many levels from political, diplomatic and military, to sexual and gender based powerplay. However in the context of the whole play, powerplay is presented as a conflict between moral honour and cruel expediency, through human interaction

Thankyou for listening.

What do you think?

I am thinking of rewriting it and adding more speech features ie. You direction.

Also can someone comment on the that fact that i think what i've written is a description of the types of powerplay and how it is represented but not an actual analysis on how it creates meaning etc.

I'm am thinking of rewriting the 3 x paragraphs into something like this and doing a closer analysis of each representation rather than clusters as i have illustrated in my current example:
Type of powerplay. (one example)
How it is represented (one example)
and how the representation creates meaning.

Would this be better than the current state and layout of the speech?

Can someone also define powerplay?
Is it meant to be how someone manipulates and gains power rather than just having power?

Cheers

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
yeah sure, I'll read it!!!!1!one11!!11!

Benmc

HSC
Bump...
Would like some comments ...
Any constructive criticism would be nice..

Cheers

EATAPIE

HSC
Benmc said:
Bump...
Would like some comments ...
Any constructive criticism would be nice..

Cheers
how bout just plain criticism?

cos here it goes: do your bloody HSC work urself, u lazy bastard. frickin if u want someone to read over it, take it to ur teacher or something. Like anyone on bos is gonna bother reading a bloody essay for you.

EATAPIE

HSC
i'll bump this for ya.
see if you have any more luck getting a reply, let alone someone reading your speech.

HSC
Hey at least he bothered to write the essay…I don’t have a problem critiquing this (I do it for a lot of my friends) but I’m not an English teacher…lol.
I only have a problem with people who come on and say, basically “write my essay for me, its due tomorrow”...I know this is just a message board eatpie, but you don't have to be rude.

struth

HSC
We've only just started this topic in class, so be sure to take my comments with a grain of salt. From what I know at the moment, you've pretty much covered the techniques pretty well, along with the general struggle of/for power.

However, I think you could connect to the audience a lot better. I realise the question says "You are presenting a speech to be delived to an audience which will include current HSC teachers and students" but when was the last time you went to a HSC seminar, where the lecturer just addressed the people as "Ladies and Gentleman.." ?

Remember, it's a speech: I know from personal experience that you can get marked down for giving an 'essay.'

As for the other questions, I'll get back to ya in a month or two when I've done the topic... :cool:

Good luck man.

And in other news, I just realised when this bloody thread was created. Grrrr.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)