Can someone tell me the best way to remember solubility rules?? (1 Viewer)

spyder101

HSC
Hi,
Can someone please tell me a tip on how to remember the solubility chart cause I cant seem to really absorb the content very well.
Thanks

Pedro123

HSC
Firstly, you gotta remember SNAAP - That is, Sodium, Nitrate, Ammonium, Acetate and Potassium are always soluble (That is, any salt made with these are always completely ionised with exceptions below).
Then, anions that are always soluble include Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine (The Halogens) and Sulphate. The exceptions to these are that Silver and Lead cations for ALL of these are either insoluble or slightly soluble (You would say in an exam though, they are always insoluble). Then, Sulphate has additional exceptions of Calcium and Barium.
Anions that are insoluble include hydroxide, sulphur, carbonate and phosphate - All of these have the exceptions of Sodium, Potassium and Ammonium EXCEPT FOR HYDROXIDE which is soluble with Sodium, Potassium and Barium (Slightly soluble with calcium)
This is frequently all you need to know, but also be very aware of Barium Sulphate (Colour, common reactions). They love to ask about it in exams.

HSC
N/A
Firstly, you gotta remember SNAAP - That is, Sodium, Nitrate, Ammonium, Acetate and Potassium are always soluble (That is, any salt made with these are always completely ionised with exceptions below).
Then, anions that are always soluble include Chlorine, Bromine, Iodine (The Halogens) and Sulphate. The exceptions to these are that Silver and Lead cations for ALL of these are either insoluble or slightly soluble (You would say in an exam though, they are always insoluble). Then, Sulphate has additional exceptions of Calcium and Barium.
Anions that are insoluble include hydroxide, sulphur, carbonate and phosphate - All of these have the exceptions of Sodium, Potassium and Ammonium EXCEPT FOR HYDROXIDE which is soluble with Sodium, Potassium and Barium (Slightly soluble with calcium)
This is frequently all you need to know, but also be very aware of Barium Sulphate (Colour, common reactions). They love to ask about it in exams.
its always BaSO4

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I know this thread was from a long time ago but as people's trials are coming up a handy tip you might not have realised.

All of the actual precipitates you see that come up in the syllabus are present on the data sheet. Everything that comes up in the Ksp section of the data sheet is a precipitate and so you can use that as a way to identify which compound in a reaction is a precipitate if you are poor at memorising solubility rules or forget on the spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)