• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can someone tell me the difference between "Analyse" "explain" and "discuss"? (1 Viewer)

gkgkgk

HSC
Hi,
I've read the Glossary ok Key words, but I still don't get it. >.<
Can someone explain this to me in a easier way?

HSC 2001, Q27
Analyse the impact of globalisation on the economic performance of the Australian economy.

HSC 2003, Q27
Explain the impact of globalisation on the economic performance of EITHER the Australian economy OR an economy other than Australia.

What makes the differnce between thes two question??
the exam notes looks quite different.

THANKS^^

Last edited:

Anookanator

HSC
Analyse - Identify components and the relationship between them, draw out and relation implications.

Explain - Relate cause and effect; make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how.

michael1990

HSC
gkgkgk said:
Hi,

HSC 2001, Q27
Analyse the impact of globalisation on the economic performance of the Australian economy.

HSC 2003, Q27
Explain the impact of globalisation on the economic performance of EITHER the Australian economy OR an economy other than Australia.

THANKS^^
EXACT QUESTIONS IN OUR HALF YEARLY!

HSC
Anookanator said:
Analyse - Identify components and the relationship between them, draw out and relation implications.

Explain - Relate cause and effect; make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how.
He said he had read the BOS glossary.

Anyway, at first I thought analyse meant something akin to 'evaluate' (i.e. make a judgement) but after reading the glossary I'm not so sure either.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
gkgkgk said:
Hi,

HSC 2001, Q27

HSC 2003, Q27

THANKS^^
Analyse requires you to make a 'value judgement' whereas explain is more a textbook answer.

To analyze the impact of globalisation you must first explain the impacts but on top of that you must expand on those points and say how it impacts the economy in a positive or nagative way.

gkgkgk

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Analyse requires you to make a 'value judgement' whereas explain is more a textbook answer.

To analyze the impact of globalisation you must first explain the impacts but on top of that you must expand on those points and say how it impacts the economy in a positive or nagative way.
Thanks a lot!

gnrlies

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:

WHOAH>>> NO this is nooot correct...

Analyse is to look at how something works. Quite the opposite of a value judgement. Evaluate might involve a value judgement. If you are analyzing something you are describing how different components work together. For example with globalisation you might look at the inter-relationships between nations, etc etc.

Explain is similar but slightly different in its definition. I dont think your answer would be different if you had analyse or explain.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
yea, to analyse is to examine the different parts of a structure/event, and then comment on how it comes together to work.

explain is relating to your hows and whys, rather than whats. so your concepts really have to be up to scratch.

discuss is the one which gives you the freedom to comment. you can look at both the negatives and positives.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
gnrlies said:
WHOAH>>> NO this is nooot correct...

Analyse is to look at how something works. Quite the opposite of a value judgement. Evaluate might involve a value judgement. If you are analyzing something you are describing how different components work together. For example with globalisation you might look at the inter-relationships between nations, etc etc.

Explain is similar but slightly different in its definition. I dont think your answer would be different if you had analyse or explain.
you're right. I got mixed up, to assess is to make a vaue jusgement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)