• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Can someone validate the techniques in these for me? (1 Viewer)

ThatChrisFella

HSC
I'm setting myself up for my pre-trial. I've got quotes and concepts, but the techniques don't seem to fit. Some I haven't even heard of today before researching.

1. "My son is everything to me."
2. "Then you realize where you are. Even though you can't get the image out of your head of what could have been; you see the beauty in what you have."

3. "In my heart, I still loved her."
4. "But as much as I want to remember, it's only the artist's impression that I see. The painted smile is where I belong, not the sneer I see now."

5. "Even after forty years my father was not reconciled to it."
6. "If you could have your time over again, would you do it all the same?"

7. "Most of all I remember his strong, bare, sun-darkened arms on either side of me as I sat on the petrol tank."
8. "This is all we have left. Just a mess of a once great country, like a Beauty who had slipped and fallen in the mud. It's not our home anymore and her dress is ruined."

SophxMusic

HSC
No idea what text/module/elective you are doing but I'll have a go...
1. "My son is everything to me." Not sure there is an exact technique here, it's more a powerful tone created by the almost monosyllabic rhythm of the words, and the short sentence.

2. "Then you realize where you are. Even though you can't get the image out of your head of what could have been; you see the beauty in what you have." This is juxtaposition - teh "what could have been" contrasted with "beauty in what you have" is powerful - however, you need to link it in to whatever your thesis/concept is for the essay. I have no idea what the underlying themes/plot of the story is so i cannot help much.

3. "In my heart, I still loved her." : Monosyllabic statement - adds emphasis and truth to the words which are said, and adds power to them

4. "But as much as I want to remember, it's only the artist's impression that I see. The painted smile is where I belong, not the sneer I see now." Demonstrates the change in feelings over time - juxtaposition and metaphor? Is there an actual painting in the story? If not, they are talking about a fictional portrayal based on memory that resembles what life used to be like in their country, and the protagonist is saying that it is that memory in which she belongs rather than the place it is now - showing the negative change of her country and her feelings about it. "painted smile" is symbolic of her happiness within the 'painted' memory, and conversely the 'sneer' symbolises the change that has occurred.

5. "Even after forty years my father was not reconciled to it." Again, not too sure there is an actual technique here.. more a supporting statement for an underlying plot/concept point.

6. "If you could have your time over again, would you do it all the same?" : Rhetorical question, and 2nd person address. Draws the reader in and emphasises the point that the author is trying to make by forcing the audience to think about the answer themselves. (I'm assuming it is addressing the audience... no idea of the form/text so I can only guess.)

7. "Most of all I remember his strong, bare, sun-darkened arms on either side of me as I sat on the petrol tank." Anecdote and imagery - tells the protagonist's story and her view on things, especially in the "most of all" but as we get an idea of her priorities.

8. "This is all we have left. Just a mess of a once great country, like a Beauty who had slipped and fallen in the mud. It's not our home anymore and her dress is ruined." : Simile and analogy/metaphor - by likening their country to a beauty, the imagery of slipping and falling signifies the trouble that has become their country. "this is all we have left" adds a sense/tone of desperation, I could be wrong because again, the quote is taken out of context.

I did try, it's hard without knowing the text/focus of the essay but i believe this to be right (ish) lol

0wl

HSC
Pretty difficult without the context, so just adding some quick comments in addition to SophxMusic's great analysis:

1. "My son is everything to me." Hyperbole/exaggeration
3. "In my heart, I still loved her." Metaphor of "in my heart", first person perspective, present tense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)