Can Sum1 HeLp me? (1 Viewer)

vg_woz_here

HSC
I have this english essay question my english teacher gave us..and im so confused...this is usually unlike me...but i really dont get it..

The Question was from last years english paper...

"to what extent has studying the concept of physical journeys expanded your understanding of yourself, of individuals and of the world?"

usually all the essays i have done start off with "how"..

Thnx :)

kitty_purrswell

Butter your own muffin
HSC
vg_woz_here said:
I have this english essay question my english teacher gave us..and im so confused...this is usually unlike me...but i really dont get it..

The Question was from last years english paper...

"to what extent has studying the concept of physical journeys expanded your understanding of yourself, of individuals and of the world?"

usually all the essays i have done start off with "how"..

Thnx :)
Ahhh yes, I remember this question not so fondly. In other words, when you first read it, it sounds like a bit of a bitch to put it bluntly :p

What's important to remember is that no matter what the question is, markers are always going to look for the 'how' like you said. This one is no different. You need to talk about the techniques the composers use within their texts that get the message across of what a physical journey represents.

For example, you could say that the vivid imagery in Walker's 'Blood on the Tracks' (incorporate quote/example) is representative of the physical journey's ability to transport the responder to a personal representation of reality, (this is where you could incorporate the question) allowing your own perceptions of yourself, individuals and the world to be shaped to an extent that allows you to appreciate the world in which you live.

Or something that is perhaps better worded and a bit more succinct than that, but it's the best I can do after tossing all my stimulus material from last year :p )

Hope that helps

vg_woz_here

HSC
oh ok...

but when i asked some people in my class..they said that u dont have to worry bout the techniques..and it makes me even more confused...

this is so frustrating...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
vg_woz_here said:
oh ok...

but when i asked some people in my class..they said that u dont have to worry bout the techniques..and it makes me even more confused...

this is so frustrating...
english essays are all about techniques !

Lexie1001

HSC
^^^ - if u have no techniques, you're stuffed. esp with a q like that cos the techniques are what draw you in to the journey so u can learn from the composer/characters perspectives in the first place. plus if u have no techniques what the hell will u write about?

vg_woz_here

HSC
oh ok..thnx guys....so i have to use Techniques...

so do i talk about each of my texts...and incorporate a quote..and then the technique...and how it contributes to physical journeys?!?!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
vg_woz_here said:
so do i talk about each of my texts...and incorporate a quote..and then the technique...and how it contributes to physical journeys?!?!
You're on the right track. ;)

vg_woz_here

HSC
but i really dont get how to incorporate it with the question?!?! like if 1 of my texts is Crossing the Red Sea...

=|

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
vg_woz_here said:
but i really dont get how to incorporate it with the question?!?! like if 1 of my texts is Crossing the Red Sea...

=|
in relation to physical journeys, there are many aspects of that journey that are prevalent in many texts. things like choice, hardship, unexpected events, etc...<== those are the things the techniques in your textual analysis will go to eventually support. THEN those things, those ideas and issues GOES TO ILLUSTRATE YOUR CHANGED UNDERSTANDING OF PHYSICAL JOURNEYS.

do you understand me, vg_woz_here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)