Can the specify texts? (1 Viewer)

sway

This is probably something i should already know.... but can the area of study essay question specify texts from the stimulus booklet and in my case the poems from Gwen Harwood?

thanx heaps

stressed02

i've heard that they can... like they can say , in Gwen H's "The Glass Jar" and "Mother who gave me life" etc.

Christine

beige member
HSC
theres a good chance they won't but nowhere in the syllabus does it say that they can't... so be prepared

stuffed4exams

you have to remember that not everyone is doing the same set text, so they can't be that specific, and i doubt that they'll really restrict you to specific stimulus booklet texts

Chrissy

Chrissy
HSC
well i know that in the modules they can ask you to write on a specific text i.e in Henry Lawson write on the drovers wife for example and they lkie to do it for poems as well but they usually say eg
"comment on consumerism in bruce dawes poem Americanized and at least one other of your choosing"

so they still give you a choice

anyway thats what my english teacher told me

evil_one

I dont think they would specify a poem because it isn't fair... if they limit what we can do from harwood's poems, they have to say what chapter to talk about for the novel for change ( i dunno what it is) ...well they don't have to ... but then it isnt going to be fair if we have to write about a specific thing, and they have to write about something else..

Plus... our sups have to fit in with our poems, so it would be unfair if they made us talk about something that doesn't relate to our own material....

That's simply my opinion... if they do specify i will kill them...

stressed02

I spoke to my english teacher today (she's an hsc marker and is on the advice line and everything) and she said that:
1) They CAN'T specify texts to write about from the Stimulus Booklet, because some people are doing Changing Self, others Changing Perspectives and Changing Worlds. Also if you have a look on the first page of the Booklet it says something about choosing texts.. i can't remember what exactly it says but it means they can't ask you a particular one.
2) That the BOS CAN (it doesn't mean they will) specify texts from your Prescribed Text for change, eg. for me its Gwen Harwood. That means they could say, something about change yada yada, refering to "Mother who gave me life" and "The Glass Jar" and the Stimulus Booklet and two other pieces of related material etc.
or, if they are nice, they could say "refer to 2 of your poems for prescribed text, the stimulus booklet and related material" so you can choose.

Hope that made sense.

sway

Thanx heaps for the info ... it all makes sense now..... i was trying to figure out how fractal curves changed me personally:p thats how crazy i'm getting....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)