Can this happen??? (1 Viewer)

royaaran

HSC
I know theres no point in wandering now since its too late but i cant help it. Its the second time i hear someone say " my friend/cousin did really well in her exams and she still got a UAI of 30-40"

this scares me :\

I know the subjects you have determine your mark as well as assessments but one of those people said they were doing hard subjects :|

Im just wandering if that happens alot???? Say someone got all 70 - ish in their exams....can they get a UAI of say 30???

I think my question is too broad but it just freaked me out abit...sort of made me think what was the point :S

nahian

HSC
It happens as much as a German man giving a British transexual a headjob
Thats not many times

muthapumpa

HSC
nahian has a valid point. Head is not reguraly occuring on our streets anymore. As for ure question... quite frankly .... i dont care....

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
yes it is possible but that would imply that they did really shit internally and that their school did not perform that well as a whole in the exams

X

xeuyrawp

Um, lol at the sarcasm?

royaaran: There is nothing mystical about the UAI. It is a mathematical process and as such it is exact and purely calculated.

It is mathematically impossible for you to have a different mark from that which was calculated.

The process is slightly confusing, I can't honestly say I understand it totally any more. It's confusing because there's 1. an amount of scaling which changes from year to year, and 2. because there's an amount of placing your school within your state-wide year.

That being said, it's pretty unlikely (although mathematically possible I suppose) that you're going to 'do well' in an exam and come out with a UAI of 30.

My answer is long because you haven't given us all the necessary figures (1. what's 'doing well' both internally and externally - ie a specific number for each subject, 2. how well is the school ranked for each subject, 3. where is the student ranked within the school and out of how many for each subject, etc etc). Like I said, it's a mathematical process and requires specific data.

That's just the disclaimer. Frankly, it sounds like either 1. the person who got a UAI of 30 has not performed well in their exams along with their school group, or 2. the people telling you the story are pulling your leg.

The best thing to do, I think, is to put all your marks into a UAI calculator. We have a basic one here. What I'd recommend is to put your subjects in, and then put your possible marks in. Try to see how a different combination of marks affects your estimated UAI, I think that's the best way. Note that, because scaling changes from year to year, it is an estimation based on past marks. In theory, a subject's scaling could change by a lot, but in practice this usually doesn't happen...

Have you been given any UAI estimates from school?

Edit:
timobr0 said:
yes it is possible but that would imply that they did really shit internally and that their school did not perform that well as a whole in the exams
Yeah, exactly.

Last edited by a moderator:

klaw

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Um, lol at the sarcasm?

royaaran: There is nothing mystical about the UAI. It is a mathematical process and as such it is exact and purely calculated.

It is mathematically impossible for you to have a different mark from that which was calculated.

The process is slightly confusing, I can't honestly say I understand it totally any more. It's confusing because there's 1. an amount of scaling which changes from year to year, and 2. because there's an amount of placing your school within your state-wide year.

That being said, it's pretty unlikely (although mathematically possible I suppose) that you're going to 'do well' in an exam and come out with a UAI of 30.

My answer is long because you haven't given us all the necessary figures (1. what's 'doing well' both internally and externally - ie a specific number?, 2. how well is the school ranked, 3. where are they ranked within the school and out of how many, 4. what subject it is, etc etc). Like I said, it's a mathematical process and requires specific data.

That's just the disclaimer. Frankly, it sounds like either 1. the person who got a UAI of 30 has not performed well in their exams along with their school group, or 2. the people telling you the story are pulling your leg.

The best thing to do, I think, is to put all your marks into a UAI calculator. We have a basic one here. What I'd recommend is to put your subjects in, and then put your possible marks in. Try to see how a different combination of marks affects your estimated UAI, I think that's the best way.

Have you been given any UAI estimates from school?

Edit:

Yeah, exactly.
When putting marks into the UAI calculator, make sure you're not putting the raw marks in. The board of studies mark is often very different from the raw mark. If you can't estimate a board of studies mark then it is a better estimate to base your marks on the % in state thing.

X

xeuyrawp

klaw said:
When putting marks into the UAI calculator, make sure you're not putting the raw marks in. The board of studies mark is often very different from the raw mark. If you can't estimate a board of studies mark then it is a better estimate to base your marks on the % in state thing.
Do you mean the Board final raw mark versus the scaled/aligned/moderated mark of UAC that contributes towards your UAI?

But anyway, you're right, and that's why there are all the disclaimers on the pages. It's a tricky business.

At this stage, it's all estimates, really anyway. You just have to be realistic with everything and not put yourself down or give yourself too much credit.

"Chubby"

HSC
timobr0 said:
OMG THAT SOUNDS LIKE MY SCHOOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)