Can we write in 1st person in our essays? (1 Viewer)

EroticCity

Hi i was looking at the boardofstudies site and they had excerpts from good essays - most of them writing in 1st person eg "When I watched the play on stage" etc. I have always been told never to write in 1st person, so i was a little confused.

ALSO one of the criteria dot point says "Applies personal experiences of workshops as an audience member to illustrate arguments and opinions". I am a little confused because we haven't watched any of our plays on stage (In fact we have only been taught 'Waiting For Godot' for Absurdist Theatre.) Please help me!!!!! I feel that I am not prepared to write a decent essay. Thanks :)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
EroticCity said:
Hi i was looking at the boardofstudies site and they had excerpts from good essays - most of them writing in 1st person eg "When I watched the play on stage" etc. I have always been told never to write in 1st person, so i was a little confused.

ALSO one of the criteria dot point says "Applies personal experiences of workshops as an audience member to illustrate arguments and opinions". I am a little confused because we haven't watched any of our plays on stage (In fact we have only been taught 'Waiting For Godot' for Absurdist Theatre.) Please help me!!!!! I feel that I am not prepared to write a decent essay. Thanks :)

ok:
1. In a drama essay, you are allowed to use "I" and "we", but I suggest u only do it when you are talking about workshopping, which brings me to my second point.

2. I didn't workshop either, but hun, BULL SHITTING is the key :p Talk about about "When I workshopped a section from WFG, we realised that this worked better because of this this and that and because it showed the pointless in life" etc, etc. Get what i'm saying? lol If not, let me know and I'll give u a better example.

3. U should know 3 plays for Absurdist theatre. perhaps ur teacher will teach u to the other two before the term is over. If not, then you HAVE to complain. It's in the drama syllabus.

I hope that helps :)

crazy_kitten

HSC
Erotic, AVOID using first person!!!!!!! Avoid it like the plague! My teach told us that using first person CAN keep you out of band five or six, but provided your essay isn't littered with it and it is used in the proper places (like styl said) it shouldn't keep you from band 5/6

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
crazy_kitten said:
Erotic, AVOID using first person!!!!!!! Avoid it like the plague! My teach told us that using first person CAN keep you out of band five or six, but provided your essay isn't littered with it and it is used in the proper places (like styl said) it shouldn't keep you from band 5/6
I used it in the workshopping bits.
I got mid band 6.

Yay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)