Can year 11 things be tested in HSC? (1 Viewer)

fayeee

HSC
Do some preliminary things come up in HSC?

Do you have to ace year 11 to ace year 12 ? :/

I personally don't thinkso, but I was just wondering :S lol

HSC
You wont be tested on anything that isn't in the HSC syllabus. The only subject that may have year eleven stuff in it, will be maths.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Concepts in learnt in Preliminary Year tend to be expanded upon in new modules introduced in the HSC year. By failing to understand and apply the material taught in the Preliminary Year, you are placing yourself at risk for future situations and topics, in which those concepts would be considered as 'pre-requisites' or 'established'. I'll use Physics as an example. The modules, Moving About and Cosmic Engine, are extremely vital if you're going on to study the Space module in Year 12. In this instance, you really have to grasp the content of your Year 11 work in order to understand the work in Year 12.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Even if some things aren't, you still should focus in class (at the very least), anyway.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
My Physics teacher said that for Physics, although they can't ask you anything directly that is related to prelim, they can ask you it indirectly. Like, you have to use a prelim step for solving something then apply it onto year 12 stuff.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Usually you should have a good understanding of the Year 11 Content to be able to to understand Year 12.

For example in maths, how can you understand Applications of Calculus to the Physical World if you don't know how to differentiate.

But no, it doesnt get officially tested.

northbank

HSC
fayeee said:

a good mate of mine said

do the work in year 11, year 12 is basically a repeat in a little more depth

WannaBang?

HSC
As my old man says: "A house must be build with foundation. A house without foundation will collapse".

Meaning, you must do well in year 11 (the foundation) in order to do well in the HSC (the house).

I know, the saying is gramatically incorrect, but that's the way my dad says it because he is an import.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
My Physics teacher said that for Physics, although they can't ask you anything directly that is related to prelim, they can ask you it indirectly. Like, you have to use a prelim step for solving something then apply it onto year 12 stuff.
Yeah, that's basically applicable to all subjects. So in answering the OP's question directly, yes it can be tested becaused it's the building blocks for the HSC course.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
WannaBang? said:
I know, the saying is gramatically incorrect, but that's the way my dad says it because he is an import.
Lol nice compliment to portray your dad as an 'import' :).

Year 11 is just the building blocks for year 12. You must grasp the concepts still in order to answer each question. And as doctor jolly said, it's not asked indirectly but you have to build upon your answer with your foundation of preliminary knowledge. I hope that made sense.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
yeah in maths, our teacher was saying that they might ask you a prelim technique as the first part of a question, then you have to use hsc stuff for the rest of it....
I don't really see Mathematics as Preliminary and HSC. It's more of, you have to learn all these topics in 2 years. I say this because we've done some work from Cambridge 3 Unit Year 12, and are currently using that textbook in our learning of Polynomials. Off course, I suppose it would be different for 4 Unit. You would probably be applying 3 Unit knowledge to solve far more advanced work.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
fayeee said:

Not really..but you should be understanding your prelim work.
For example...in biology in prelim you learnt about, let's say...biomagnification. In year you learn about public health programs to prevent/control disease in which pesticides are one method (Topic 3: search for better health).
Within a question about this (such as an evaluate/discuss) you have to put the NEGATIVES of pesticides. You COULD use biomagnification as an example which would be impressive.

So you see, it's not DIRECTLY tested but a general undertstanding would be useful

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)