Can you just do straight law? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Can you just do vanilla law?

Sparcod said:
Why does law have to be combined anyway?? (just a question to think about; doesn't have to be answered)
I think it is partly because it is a lot to expect an undergrad (especially one straight out of school) to start will full study load of law subjects. MQ first year law students for example only take their introductory law subject and jurisprudence law subject in first year and do not take any substantive law subjects until second year whereas UWS the students do the same plus criminal and torts. I think I benefit from the way it was done at UWS as I was putting in to practice what I was learning at the time but I can see that the MQ system would have benefits. I can see however that it would be a lot to be doing four law subjects per semester in first year, I think it would be easier to cope now but hard in first year. I think its seen as a way of easing law students into a demanding course.

dude01

HSC
I think it is partly because it is a lot to expect an undergrad (especially one straight out of school) to start will full study load of law subjects. MQ first year law students for example only take their introductory law subject and jurisprudence law subject in first year and do not take any substantive law subjects until second year whereas UWS the students do the same plus criminal and torts. I think I benefit from the way it was done at UWS as I was putting in to practice what I was learning at the time but I can see that the MQ system would have benefits. I can see however that it would be a lot to be doing four law subjects per semester in first year, I think it would be easier to cope now but hard in first year. I think its seen as a way of easing law students into a demanding course.

Yeh I agree. I struggled this semester with torts and contracts, as well as 2 non-law subjects. The workload was shocking...

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC

melsc said:
Similar reason as to why law can only be taken as a postgrad course after getting an undergrad degree?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A

Sparcod said:
Similar reason as to why law can only be taken as a postgrad course after getting an undergrad degree?
What are you trying to say?

That one can't do law as an undergrad degree?

Hey that was very insightful, please tell me more.

2curvy4u

HSC
Why would you wanna do law on its own anyway? Eugh... I really wanna do Law combined with International Studies or Arts... :)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It may not be a good idea if you can't get credit for your non-law courses. Also, because the straight LLB will probably have more law units than the combined degree you may find yourself not gaining as much time as you thought you would have. I'm going to be dropping down to just the LLB (after doing mainly straight law all year) and I'll only be saving myself one semester (two if I can cram honours into my last semester) because I won't get credit for some of my non-law subjects and because I need to take more law electives to fill up the degree. Saving the one semester isn't a complete waste of time though, at least I can always use the time saved to travel :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
velox said:
boom is dying now, since cheap credit is drying up.
coincidentally short-term economic/political issues came up as a question for the BDW application, and i mention this was one of the key issues.

but i wanna be a M&A lawyer - am i screwed?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nice work. BDW is nice, hope you get what you want.

No you're not screwed, my *friend* is one. Lots of other stuff to do. But not so good work/life balance. Have to sleep with your blackberry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)