Can you pick up a double degree? (1 Viewer)

Rileh

HSC
Hey,

I'm tossing up between Economics and a double degree with Eco and Arts.

I understand I can drop the second degree later, but if I just do Economics first, can I pick up the Arts degree later?

Cheers

sida1049

HSC
I also noticed that you've only done general mathematics. I recommend you to read on basic calculus at some point; it will save you some trouble later. 2U calculus is a good place to start, if you're up for it.

Rileh

HSC
I also noticed that you've only done general mathematics. I recommend you to read on basic calculus at some point; it will save you some trouble later. 2U calculus is a good place to start, if you're up for it.
Yeah, I was actually doing ext 1 maths in prelim, dropped to 2 unit and then to General after doing poorly 1st term HSC due to a combination of personal stuff and lack of motivation/ slacking off.

Would you recommend actual bridging courses or just personal study? Thanks

engineering

HSC
N/A
If you start in the single degree, you can apply for a degree change to double degree later. It is no different to starting a BA and then then say applying to change to BSc.

sida1049

HSC
Yeah, I was actually doing ext 1 maths in prelim, dropped to 2 unit and then to General after doing poorly 1st term HSC due to a combination of personal stuff and lack of motivation/ slacking off.

Would you recommend actual bridging courses or just personal study? Thanks
Probably both. On top of that, ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics actually had an additional lecture running for people needing some basic maths, so there's that (although I think at one point I saw a lecture recording of them going through quadratics...). But honestly, just focus on calculus.

If you have a 2U textbook that has content on differential and integral calculus (even better if it has applications of calculus), I recommend going through that, exercise by exercise. There's a lot of users on this forum who would gladly explain concepts to you or help you with questions. You could probably find notes/courses/guides/videos online on calculus. Just to be safe though, I do recommend the bridging course. (There is only a small component of calculus in first year, but the maths gets heavier every year, especially if you plan on entering the honours stream.)

I have no idea whether this is good or not, but he has pretty decent reputation, and he only goes through the HSC stuff, which is enough. (Some videos on YouTube may be more geared towards uni students, and hence more formal and difficult to grasp.) Just remember: differential calculus is about change (e.g. gradients), and integral calculus (for your intents and purposes) is about quantity (e.g. area, volume). (Though you won't encounter integral calculus in first year economics, it's useful to learn it. Operationally, integration is the opposite of differentiation.)

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)